One way to identify insect pests of turf is to categorize them by where they feed within the turfgrass environment. These insects fall into three categories:
- insects that feed below ground
- insects that chew turf foliage
- insects that extract plant sap
- other pests
Pests that damage turf in these categories include:
- Insects that feed below ground include mole crickets, white grubs and billbugs.
- Insects that chew turf foliage include armyworms, cutworms and sod webworms.
- Insects that extract plant sap include aphids, chinch bugs and spittle bugs.
- Other pests are fire ants, scale insects, mealy bugs, and cicada killers.
Clicking on the links below will lead to a picture and description of the insects.