Support Rural Farmers: 2023 Farm Stress Summit
March 20, 2023 - Macon, Georgia
From healthcare providers and nonprofits to county officials and faith leaders, the 2023 Farm Stress Summit welcomes all who want to further their efforts in combatting farm stress within our communities. Our goal is to learn from each other, connect communities with existing resources and establish partnerships across organizations.
As a bonus, attendance of this event offers up to 2.5 CEU contact hours for social workers.
Register online before March 17.
Speakers will focus on farm family health and wellness, including strategies for enhancing collaborations at the local, state and national level to cohesively support farm families as well as proven and emerging practices for combatting farmer mental health challenges.
Breakout sessions will focus on identifying and leveraging existing community resources and natural supports as well as developing a list of relevant needs.
Download the speaker bios or read about them below:
Marshal Sewell, Strategic Account & Partnerships Manager, Bayer Crop Science; Founder, 'Mind Your Melon'
- Kevin Tanner, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities
- Stephanie Basey, PhD Student, Rural Health Sciences Program, Mercer University School of Medicine
- Tyler Harper, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Anna Scheyett, Professor, University of Georgia School of Social Work
- Jennifer Dunn, Southwest Area Health Agent, University of Georgia Cooperative Extension
- Christina Proctor, Health Promotion & Behavior Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Georgia College of Public Health
Interested in sharing this event with your network? Check out the social media kit and download the promotional flyer.
2022 Event Recap
Downloads available in PDF format:
- Stronger Together - Ray Atkinson
- Farmers' Mental Wellbeing in Georgia: A Statewide Survey - Stephanie Basey and Anne Montgomery
- Three Studies and What They Tell Us About the Way Forward - Anna Scheyett
Date and Time
9:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m., March 20, 2023
President's Dining Room, University Center
1730 Adams Drive
Macon, GA 31220
Driving Instructions and Mercer University Campus Map
- Farm stressors
- Tools available for coping
- Strategies for positive collaboration
UGA Extension is proud to partner with the following organizations to make this event possible:
- Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities
- Georgia Farm Bureau
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- University of Georgia School of Social Work
- Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
- University of Georgia Institute on Human Development and Disability
- Georgia Rural Health Innovation Center
- Georgia Foundation for Agriculture
Questions? Contact conference co-chairs Lucy Ray and Maria Bowie.
This work is supported by the Farm and Ranch Stress Assistance Network- Georgia Farmer Healthy Mindset [grant no. 13395431/2021-09304/ project ascension no 2021-70035575], from the US Department of Agriculture, National Institute on of Food and Agriculture. Any opinion, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed are those of the author(s) and short not be construed to represent any official (USDA or U.S. Government determination or policy).