About the position
UGA Extension has a county delivery model where agents, who are public service faculty members, are the primary resource for local communities. Extension agents have the backing of a variety of subject matter specialists who train and support programs across the state. These UGA faculty experts are critical to disseminating research-based information to our agents across the state. In turn, agents keep specialists apprised of the latest information and needs of their clients.
Current county agent openings:
Polk Co. ANR/4-H - Cedartown, Northwest
Carroll Co. FCS - Carrollton, Northwest
Mitchell Co. 4-H - Camilla, Southwest
Webster & Stewart Co. FCS/4-H - Preston/Lumpkin, Southwest
Cobb Co. ANR - Marietta, Northwest
McDuffie Co. ANR - Thomson, Northeast
Candler Co. ANR - Metter, Southeast
Fulton Co. FCS - Atlanta, Northwest
Webster & Stewart ANR - Southwest
Wilcox Co. ANR - Rochelle, Southwest
Newton Co. ANR - Covington, Northwest
Montgomery Co. ANR – Mt. Vernon, Southeast
Position Roles and Responsibilities
UGA Extension reaches Georgians from all walks of life. As an agent, you can make an impact in your community by working in one or more of these areas:
Want to have an impact on the state’s largest economic sector? Agriculture and Natural Resources agents help local farmers, agribusinesses, communities and homeowners in a variety of agriculture-related areas.
Have an interest in people’s health and well-being? Family and Consumer Sciences agents offer resources about family development, food and nutrition, health, home care and money.
Are you interested in teaching young people vital life skills? 4-H Youth Development agents provide 4-H’ers with lessons they’ll remember and can build on for a lifetime.
General duties include:
- Targeting specific audiences for educational programs addressing critical issues.
- Develop and conducting relevant interdisciplinary programs with other staff members based on critical issues.
- Collaborate with other agencies and community groups to plan and implement programs.
- Use current research data and information on emerging issues in program development and teaching.
- Demonstrates personal interest and involvement in the community by participating in and supporting community activities, organizations and networking with local leaders.
Do you have the skills? We’re looking for people with:
- A passion to engage with people in non-traditional education settings.
- The ability to design, coordinate and teach effective programs to meet community needs.
- Experience working as a team player.
- Skills as a written and oral communicator.
- A master’s degree related to an Extension program area (A bachelor’s degree is acceptable if willing to enroll in graduate school).
Salary: $47,000 (master's required)
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- List of References with Contact Information
- Three Letters of Recommendation (if finalist)
State specialists are the backbone of Extension, providing research-based information and programs on specific disciplines to our agents. From authoring publications to providing resources to agents, these faculty members serve a critical role to Extension. Specialists are primarily located on UGA campuses in Athens, Griffin and Tifton under respective departments. Positions are either full-time extension or some combination of extension/research/teaching appointments.
Requirements: Ph.D. degree preferred in a related area
Salary: commensurate with experience, qualifications and rank. The discipline market rate is taken into consideration as well.
University faculty members have access to many benefits including:
- Flexible work hours, depending on job requirements.
- Excellent health benefits and retirement plans.
- A total of 12 paid holidays, 12 sick days (8 hours per month, unlimited accrual) and 21 vacation days annually (14 hours of leaver per month, accrual up to 45 days).
To learn more about benefits, please visit the UGA Human Resources website.
Office of the Associate Dean for Extension
111 Conner Hall
Athens, GA 30602
firstname.lastname@example.org | 706-542-1060
Hear what it's like to be a local hero from our Extension Agents:
4-H Youth Agent, Gwinnett County
Agriculture and Natural Resources Agent and County Coordinator, Taylor and Peach Counties
Family and Consumer Sciences Agent, Bartow County