Continuing education (CE) is informal instruction on a gardening or related topic.
It keeps the MGEV informed and knowledgeable about the latest gardening topics and research. Continuing education tends to be informal education events, such as an organized class, workshop, or seminar, where the MGEV is the student. Appropriate events should have some structure, like a speaker, defined time and place, and a specific topic.
Examples include presentations given by speakers at the meetings of horticultural organizations, including MGEV organizations; national and international conferences; Extension workshops and presentations; and classes at Georgia public gardens.
There are lots of opportunities to acquire continuing education. Some topics are specific to the MGEV role. Some topics are more horticulturally focused, like how to prune Japanese maples, the “good bugs/bad bugs” series, or presentations about conifers. Other training topics may be more specific to the MGEV role, such as how to use MGLOG or about risk management training for working with youth. All of these topics are legitimate for expanding the MGEV knowledge base and staying up-to-date.
MGEVs are encouraged to seek at least 6 hours of continuing education each year and report it within MGLOG. It is the responsibility of the individual to accurately and punctually report training hours within MGLOG. Attendance at events where the MGEV is the student should not be reported as volunteer service.
Continuing Education Opportunities in 2019:
- IMGC Conference | June 17-21, 2019 | Penn's Woods: Digging into our Roots | Valley Forge, PA | Register here
- GMGA 2019 Conference
- Thoughtful Thursday Webinars Series
- May 9 | Diseases of Ornamentals (Elizabeth Little)
- June 13 | Horticulture Therapy Activities for MGEVs to Conduct (Mike Maddox)
- July 11 | Household and Structural Pests (Dan Suiter)
- August 8 | Participating in the Pollinator Census (Becky Griffin)
- September 12 | Fall Turfgrass Transition (Clint Waltz)
- October 10 | Project Sharing (Sheri Dorn)
- November 14 | Georgia's Gold and Silver Star Recognition for MGEV Advanced Training (Sheri Dorn)