Welcome to Madison County!
Located only 17 miles northeast of Athens-Clarke County and the University of Georgia, Madison County covers 285 square miles in the Piedmont region of Northeast Georgia. Madison County's number one industry is agriculture. According to the 2017 UGA Farm Gate Report, Madison County is #2 in agricultural production, with a total farm gate value of more than $520 Million.
Much of the agriculture in the county is centered around Georgia's large poultry industry, but Madison County also has a diversified agriculture, with many acres devoted to beef cattle, goats, and sheep; hay, soybeans, and small grains; as well as timber production and several small vegetable farms that raise produce for farmers markets.
2021 Recipe Contest
1. Madison County students in grades K—12 are eligible to enter.
2. Find or create a recipe. Make the recipe your own by changing ingredients to make it as healthy as possible. The main ingredient must be a product that Madison County produces - examples include chicken, eggs, dairy, beef, pork, strawberries, blueberries, honey, wheat, etc. Some of our local farms are listed on the information sheet and also help sponsor the contest. They are willing for you to call, introduce yourself and learn more about the product(s) that they grow here locally.
3. Recipes must include: amount of ingredients, the number of servings it makes and directions for preparing the recipe.
4. Take a picture of your homemade recipe on a serving plate.
5. Recipes will be judged on NUTRITION, APPEAL, CREATIVITY, RECIPE PRESENTATION (how you write it up), AND RECIPE CONTENT (what is in the recipe).
6. Prizes will be awarded for first place in the following age divisions: K -3rd 4th-6th 7th-8th 9th-12th.
7. Recipe submissions and picture of completed dish are due by Monday, Feb. 1, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off to the Madison County Extension Office at 97 Sunset Drive in Danielsville no later than Feb. 1, 2021 before 5:00pm.
Jan 20 ServSafe Manager Certification Training and Exam Georgia Cooperative Extension provides the nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for foodservice managers from the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF). Upon successful completion of the ServSafe® examination, the ServSafe® Food Protection Manager certificate will be issued by the NRAEF. Workshops are offered in multiple locations throughout the state; see each training's contact for details.
- Sandersville, GA - (85.0 Miles)
Jan 23 - Jan 24 State 4-H Horse Quiz Bowl Qualifier https://georgia4h.org/programs/focus-areas/agriculture-stem/agriculture/livestock-and-animal-projects/quiz-bowl/
- Athens, GA - (16.0 Miles)
Jan 23 Lake Country Beekeeping Short Course This ZOOM delivered Short Course will provide the information necessary for a beginning beekeeper to begin their journey into the fascinating world of beekeeping.
- Virtual Event
Madison County 4-H Fundraisers
Our 4-H'ers work hard throughout the year to raise funds to attend camps, group competitions, and other great events that help develop them into better people and future leaders. We will update our website and social media with reminders of upcoming fundraisers. Please help these students by contributing.
If you would like to make a generous donation towards our general Extension and 4-H funds, or designate funds to a specific activity like summer camp, please contact our office.
What is UGA Extension?
UGA Extension is a partnership (Cooperation) between The University of Georgia,
the U. S. Department of Agriculture, and individual counties. UGA Extension delivers current research conducted at universities and research farms to the citizens of each county based on their individual needs. This delivery system allows UGA Extension to be on the forefront of food safety, technology, research, and education; keeping Georgia’s economy strong and making life better for Georgians. Visit the UGA Extension website to find out more!