Safe Housing & Clean Living
Join UGA Extension DeKalb in raising awareness about this deadly gas. For more information on purchasing a radon test kit or to plan a program, contact us today!
What is radon?
Radon occurs naturally when uranium breaks down to form radon. Uranium is often found in high concentrations in granite and rocky soils. Radon is released into the soil and can easily enter a home through the foundation and well water. It can build up to dangerous levels inside homes, schools, and other buildings. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, after tobacco smoke. Radon kills nearly 21,000 people each year, more than 800 of them in Georgia. Smokers are at an even higher risk of radon-induced lung cancer than nonsmokers.
Choose one of the options below to purchase a radon test kit and test for radon in your home:
- Purchase and pick up your kit today from the DeKalb County Extension Office ($10.00). We accept cash, checks, money orders, Visa and Mastercard at the office. Make all checks and money orders payable to DeKalb County Extension/4-H.
- Order online ($13.00)
Radon Frequently Asked Questions
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) - Radon
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- FAQ About Radon Gas
Tips for keeping your home healthy:
- Keep it dry
- Keep it pest-free
- Keep it safe
- Keep it clean
- Keep it green
- Keep it well ventilated
- Keep it maintained
- Keep it contaminant -free
Check out more of our recommendations