When people become educated about financial management, they become empowered to live a better life. UGA Extension's basic financial capability programs are designed to help consumers plan their spending to meet their needs, wants and goals today and in the future.
UGA Extension also offers programs to help consumers improve credit scores, get out of debt and rebuild credit after bankruptcy. Preventive education helps consumers use credit wisely and avoid problems before they start.
We provide resources to help people understand wealth accumulation, protection, and distribution, including estate planning, insurance and investing.
UGA Volunteer Income Tax Assistance UGA VITA offers free tax help to people with moderate incomes, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers throughout Georgia.
- How to Get Out of Debt (C 1045) Learn about types of credit, how to assess your situation if you are in debt, and how to make power payments to get out of debt fast. Getting out of debt helps financial security and planning for the …
- Starting Your Own Business: Community Resources (C 1046) Starting a new business is an exciting and scary time. Georgia's business sector has an abundance of entrepreneurial spirit, but getting started can be overwhelming. Fortunately, there are several com…
- Get Smart About Identity Theft (B 1435) Your personal identity cannot be taken from you, but your identifying information—your Social Security number and other details about you—certainly can be. If your identifying data is used without you…
- Insurance: Necessity or Nuisance? (C 1111) If you need a particular type of insurance, it is better to have it even if you never use it. The hard part is knowing the difference between insurance you need and insurance you are better off withou…
- Economic Impact of the Georgia Green Industry, 2013 (C 1138) The state of Georgia ranked ninth out of all states in 2013 for green industry (not including sod production, as this was not included in the analysis) economic contributions (including multiplier eff…
Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs Information and advocacy for Georgia residents.
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Governmental site that makes consumer complaint stories public.
UGArden Containers In exchange for their creativity, the MFA students learned more about food systems and UGA’s efforts to fight food insecurity in Athens.
Flood Insurance Risk UGA researchers find unrealistic expectations of disaster relief, politics may influence number of insured properties.
Helping Georgians Tax assistance program benefits thousands in Georgia.