UGA Extension wants individuals of all ages to have access to affordable, safe and decent housing.
We provide users with information about water and energy conservation, reducing waste, buying or renting a home and improving the indoor environment by reducing pollutants like mold, radon, lead and volatile organic compounds. These resources allow families and individuals to create healthy, safe and sustainable homes and improve their quality of life.
The quality of your water supply can have both an immediate and a prolonged effect on the health of your household. This series contains basic information about home water quality and treatment.
- When Your Income Drops Series: Housing: Your Top Priority (C 1041-6) Keeping a roof over your head is an important concern when your income drops or doesn't go as far as it used to. Careful planning can help you avoid eviction from your rental unit or the loss of your …
- Home Maintenance Checklist (C 1082) Just like your personal health, your home's health will decline without regular care and maintenance. Maintaining a healthy indoor environment helps increase your quality of life and the life of your …
- Radon Mitigation Dos and Don'ts (C 1065) Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. A radon reduction system (radon mitigation) reduces high levels of indoor radon to acceptable levels. The system most frequently …
- A Beginner's Guide to Septic Systems (B 1421) Many buildings and homes have on-site wastewater management systems, commonly called septic systems. Because septic systems are buried, it is easy to forget about them as they quietly, elegantly and e…
- Eviction Resource Guide (TP 118) The eviction moratoriums in the CARES Act, which were designed to protect renters impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, have recently expired. At the time of publication, Congress has yet to pass additio…
UGA College of Family and Consumer Sciences Learn more about the College of Family and Consumer Sciences at the University of Georgia.
Energy Star Offers information about energy efficiency and conservation.
Georgia Dream Homeownership Program Housing and down payment programs in Georgia.
Georgia Housing Search Search for housing in Georgia.
HUD Housing Counselors UGA Extension is a HUD approved housing counseling agency.
Insurance Info Institute Shopping for home or renters insurance.
Mortgage Calculator Figure out how much home you can afford.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
USDA Rural Development Buying a home in a rural community.
VA Home loans for veterans.
Joro Watch Initiative According to a team of University of Georgia experts collecting data about the spiders through the newly formed Joro Watch initiative, it’s best to put down the stick (for now) and pick up a camera.
Toxic Plants Some common household plants pose a threat to your pets.
World Water Week By designing an efficient landscape and fertilizer plan, you can save on maintenance costs while protecting water quality in your community.