Paulding County 4-H Forestry Judging
Updates-Flash Card information-Slide shows with information
4-H Forestry Field Day/Forestry Judging
Forestry Field Day (FFD) is a competitive Judging Contest where 4-H'ers learn about one of Georgia's most valuable resources. Participants learn to identify trees, insects, and diseases. They also participate in compass and pacing activities and learn how to complete sawtimber volume estimations. FFD provides an opportunity for youth to gain a better appreciation for our local forest resources and how they contribute to our economy and quality of life.
Forestry Judging is progressive and each practice builds upon the last. To sign up for reminders by the text you can join our Remind group.
At the first practice, please be sure you have submitted all participation forms including:
- CODE OF CONDUCT
Updated each school year, student and adult signatures required.
- *MEDICAL INFORMATION & RELEASE FORM (MIRF)
Note: New/updated one needed for each separate type of 4-H event.
- GENERAL REGISTRATION FORM (Non-5th grade classroom club form)
- Forestry Judging Contract
2021 Season Information and Schedule
We'll be practicing in the summer from 9 am-2 pm on the following days:
- Wednesday, June 9
- Thursday, July 1
- Thursday, July 8
- Thursday, July 29
After School Practices (Mock Contest Style):
Thursdays, August 12, 29 and 26 from 4:30-6:30 pm.
August 31 – Confirmed-4-H Forestry Field Day Contest for Juniors/Seniors at Camp Westminster in Rockdale County-We will leave the office at 2:00 pm to arrive at the competition on time.
Contest Dates/Senior Practices for State Field Day (If we place at District)
Thursdays, September 9 and 23 from 4:30-6:30 pm.
September 25 – Confirmed State 4-H Forestry Contest for Senior Team Location TBD.
Some reminders about practice:
- Bring a three-ring binder for your manual.
- Bring ALL flashcards you have from last year's meetings.
- Wear tennis shoes with a closed toe and closed heel.
- Bring water and sunscreen! (It's going to be HOT!)
- Be on time!
4-H Forestry Field Day Resources
Tree Identification References
- Georgia 4-H Forestry Field Day Resources
- Junior Tree Quizzes
- Senior Tree Quizzes
- Tree Pictures - Duke University
- Arbor Day Tree Identification Guide - Eastern U.S.
- Free Leafsnap App. for iPhone/iPad
Insect and Disease References
- Junior Insect and Disease Practice
- Senior Insect and Disease Practice
- Forest Health Guide for Georgia
- Insects and Diseases of Trees in the South
- National 4-H Forestry Disease and Insect Flash Cards
- Free Forest Pest Insects App. for iPhone/iPad
Flash Card Templates
- Junior/Senior Leaves (5th - 12th grade)
- Senior's Extra Leaves (9th - 12th grade)
- Insect Flash Cards
- Disease Flash Cards
For more information about Paulding County 4-H Youth Development Programs, call 770-443-7616.