Athens Area Master Gardener Association
The Athens Area Master Gardener Association is an organization devoted to providing information to the gardening public, to assist in the community in horticultural practices, assist Master Gardeners fulfill their commitment of volunteer hours and to advance the members' horticultural education through meetings and educational activities. Monthly meetings are held at 6:00 pm on the third Tuesday of each month. Meeting location varies, please check the AAMGA newsletter for updates.
AAMGA Membership Information
If you are interested in joining the Athens Area Master Gardener Association please contact Christy McFaden for an application or more information at email@example.com. You may also contact Amanda Tedrow, Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent, at (706) 613-3640. Yearly dues are $10 for active Master Gardeners and $20 for friends of the association. Dues must be received by January 1st each year to remain in the association. Membership in an association is not required to be a Georgia Master Gardener Extension Volunteer.
Ongoing AAMGA Projects
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Clarke Middle School: Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest fruits and vegetables for donation to local food banks. Contact Merry Anderson at (706) 549-4121 for more information.
Plant a Row for the Hungry at Thomas Orchards, Oconee Co: Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest vegetables for donation to the ACTION Agency in Bishop which provides assistance to low-income seniors in Oconee County. This garden currently grows warm season crops only. Contact Gary Wade at firstname.lastname@example.org or Frank Johnson at email@example.com
Salvation Army HOPE Garden: Volunteers plant, maintain, and harvest fruits and vegetables at this garden located at the Salvation Army. Produce is donated directly to the Salvation Army kitchen. Contact Dave Hagaman at (404) 906-1976 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Athens-Clarke County Extension Office Master Gardener desk: Volunteers assist the County Agent with homeowner plant, insect and disease questions. This is a great learning experience. Contact Amanda Tedrow at (706) 613-3640 for more information.
Athens Community Council on Aging (ACCA) Community Garden: Located on Hoyt Street near downtown Athens, ACCA has a community garden that supports meal programs for low income families as well as adult day care meals. Volunteers maintain the garden year-round. Contact Patty Hopaluk-Gay at email@example.com for more information.
Piedmont Pollinator Garden: Located behind the Piedmont Athens Regional hospital, this garden is a retreat for pollinators,hospital patients and neighborhood residents. Volunteers for Piedmont partner on workdays to maintain the garden. Contact Sarah Lockman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Backyard Pollinator Garden at SBG: Located at the State Botanical Garden this project is designed to develop an area for pollinators and to provide educational resources for visitors to the garden. Contact Jackie Williams at email@example.com
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Plant Sales: Each spring AAMGA holds two plant sales. All plants at the sale are grown by our local Master Gardeners. The first plant sale typically takes place on the last Saturday of April from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm at the Athens-Clarke County Extension office. The second is at the Winterville Marigold Festival. Proceeds from the plant sales fund Master Gardener projects such as Plant a Row for the Hungry and scholarship opportunities.
- Athens Farmers Market Master Gardener Booth: Volunteers answer market patron questions, primarily centering on vegetable and fruit gardening. For questions contact Amanda Tedrow at firstname.lastname@example.org
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia: Volunteers help in a variety of garden areas including curated gardens, greenhouses, native plants and the Ask a Master Gardener desk. Contact Andrea Fischer at (706) 542-6195 or email@example.com
- UGA Horticulture Farm: Volunteers help with the vegetable farm. Contact B J Garrett at firstname.lastname@example.org
- UGA Trial Garden: Volunteers help with garden and plant care. Contact B J Garrett at email@example.com
- GreenLife Expo: This annual community event offers numerous volunteer opportunities including an Ask a Master Gardener booth, newspaper pot making activity and a farm animal demonstration area. Contact Amanda Tedrow at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer hour recording database
- Project Proposal Form (Extension Approval)
- Project Proposal Form
- Reimbursement Form
The Garden Dirt (AAMGA Newsletter)
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
AAMGA 2018 Executive Board & Other Association Leadership
- President: Barbara Turner
- Vice President: Mike Sikes
- Secretary: Rosemary Stancil
- Treasurer: Shirley Baker
- Immediate Past President: Anne Walker
- Athens-Clarke County Extension Agent:
- Newsletter Publisher and Listserv Coordinator: Elizabeth Thurmond
- Project Chairperson: Merry Anderson