What is Project Achievement?
Project Achievement is a public speaking competition for 4th-12th grade students. Select a topic that YOU are interested in to share with your fellow 4-H'ers, develop your confidence, and meet new friends from across the state at the district competitions. Project areas include but not are limited to: dog care and training, sports, history, arts & crafts, outdoor recreation and more! Would you rather cook and be evaluated like the chefs on the Food Network? Compete in one of our many cooking projects including Better Breakfast, Dairy Foods, Pizza, and Festive Foods for Health. Are you in to the performing arts instead? Compete in performing arts instrumental, vocal, or general project area! Project Achievement is for everyone! See the project lists for your grade level and a Parent Guide to Project Achievement below:
Cloverleaf Project Achievement
The contest will be held virtually this year. Video speech entries are due by Monday January 11, 2021. Open to all 4th-6th grade students! Prizes will be awarded to county winners. The top 4 winners in each category will advance to the district contest and will earn a reward day trip later in the spring!
How do you get started?
1. Pick a topic that interests YOU! It can be anything!
2. Research that topic using credible resources
3. Write your speech! Include an introduction (with a catchy hook), three body paragraphs highlighting your topic, and a conclusion.
4. Create your poster! It can be a trifold board or regular poster board. Be sure to use large words and pictures so that your poster can be seen clearly in the video submission! Your poster should compliment your speech.
5. Time yourself! Your speech should be 4-6 minutes long!
6. Other important items: Film your video where you and your poster can be seen, use props if you have them, be animated and enthusiastic! Consider putting your speech on index cards.
7. Submit videos and your entry form at the following link: www.tinyurl.com/cobbcpa2021
8. The deadline to submit is January 11th, 2021
9. Questions? Contact Brittani Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior/Senior Project Achievement: 7th-12th grade
Two part process- Portfolio and Presentation
Portfolios are very easy to do! It is just a list of all of the activities that you have participated in both inside and outside of 4-H from January 1st to December 31st. Cobb County 4-H hosts multiple portfolio workshops so that you can work on them with your fellow 4-H'ers! Check out this video created by Floyd County AmeriCorps Member, Whitney Kirkpatrick that explains Junior/Senior Project Achievement!
2020 Cobb 4-H Portfolio Workshop Dates:
- Wednesday August 27th from 5:00pm via Zoom
- Monday September 28th from 9:00am-4:00pm at the Extension Office. **Virtual Option Available**
- Tuesday October 20th from 6:30pm-8:00pm. **Virtual Option Available**
- Monday November 23rd from 10:00am-3:00pm. **Virtual Option Available**
- Thursday December 17th **Deadline to turn in final portfolio to be eligible for a prize drawing**
- Monday December 21st from 10:00am-3:00pm
- Portfolios DUE- Monday January 4th, 2021 by 4:00pm to the Extension Office
- Junior presentation length- 7-9 minutes
- Senior presentation length- 10-12 minutes
- Junior Food Lab length- 1 hour
- Senior Food Lab length- 1 1/2 hours
- Performing Arts- 4 minutes
- Speech Writing Workshop- January 9th from 6:30pm-8:00pm at the Extension Office
- Poster Workshops- All day at the Extension Office February 17-18, 2020
- Speech Dress Rehearsal Dates-February 13th from 4:00pm-8:00pm and February 20th from 9:00am-4:00pm (only attend one 30 minute appointment)
DPA Competition and FREE weekend trip to Rock Eagle- March 12-14, 2021 ***This may change to later this spring/summer due to COVID-19***
DPA weekend activities:
- District Officer Elections
- Canteen Time
- Awards Ceremony
- Free time with friends