UGA Extension provides resources for parents, other family and household members, caregivers, and other individuals promoting the positive development and safety of school-age and adolescent youth, consumer economic issues and financial planning, and healthy home environments. Topics in this section include:
- Childhood Development
- Adolescent Development
- Adult & Family Development
- Housing & Home Environment
- Financial Planning & Literacy
Guide for New Parents
This 12- article publication includes research-based information on various topics across College of Family and Consumer Sciences Extension program areas, including: infant development, parenting, co-parenting and couple relations, child care, nutrition and health, food safety, housing and environmental safety, and financial management and planning.
- Building Baby's Brain Series: The Basics
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Prime Times for Learning
- Building Baby's Brain Series: What Parents Can Do
- Building Baby's Brain Series: What Child Care Can Do
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Learning Language
- Building Baby's Brain Series: The Role of Music
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Is Breast Milk Best?
- Building Baby's Brain Series: What to Eat When You're Expecting
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Nurturing Positive Relationships
- Building Baby's Brain Series: The Importance of Play
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Creating Consistency
- Building Baby's Brain Series: Buffering the Brain From Toxic Stress
- Eat Healthy, Be Active Series: Healthy Breakfast Feeds the Brain
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Live Christmas trees can be enjoyed indoors now, planted outdoors later
- Plan ahead to make holiday get-togethers fun for all ages
- Keep safety tips in mind before buying toys for children
- Make lists, eat well and exercise to reduce holiday stress
- Be sure gifts of food are safe from foodborne illness
- Following proper guidelines is key for safe pumpkin preserves
- Gov. Deal encourages Georgia 4-H'ers to protect Americans' freedoms
- UGA using pig skin for neural development in humans
- Tablets make great learning tools for kids, but parents should be vigilant
- Managing expectations critical to easing holiday stress
- Georgia Teens Ride with Pride
A free, award-winning two-hour course designed to help parents and their teen drivers, ages 14-16, negotiate the process of learning to drive safely.
- Health Navigators
University of Georgia Health Navigators help consumers, small business owners and employees navigate the new health insurance marketplace.
- Youth and Adolescent Development
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to youth and adolescent development.
- Georgia Youth Summit
A statewide event for teams of youth and adults which is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs as part of the Georgia Rural Development Council's Youth Leadership Initiative.
- Children, Youth, and Families Education and Research Network
Practical, research-based information about children and families from US universities.
- Georgia Family Connection Partnership
And organization sharing research and information about building strong families.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Helping Teens Develop Relationship Smarts
A research-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on activities to focus on skills and knowledge necessary for healthy dating relationships.