UGA Extension provides resources for parents, other family and household members, caregivers, and other individuals promoting the positive development and safety of school-age and adolescent youth, consumer economic issues and financial planning, and healthy home environments. Topics in this section include:
- Childhood Development
- Adolescent Development
- Adult & Family Development
- Housing & Home Environment
- Financial Planning & Literacy
Guide for New Parents
This 12- article publication includes research-based information on various topics across College of Family and Consumer Sciences Extension program areas, including: infant development, parenting, co-parenting and couple relations, child care, nutrition and health, food safety, housing and environmental safety, and financial management and planning.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- The Basics
- Prime Times for Learning
- What Parents Can Do
- What Child Care Can Do
- Learning Language
- The Role of Music
- Is Breast Milk Best?
- What to Eat When You're Expecting
- Nurturing Positive Relationships
- The Importance of Play
- Creating Consistency
- Buffering the Brain From Toxic Stress
- Healthy Breakfast Feeds the Brain
- Physical Activity Teaches New Skills
- Surviving the Holidays
- Caregiving Spouses
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- UGA using pig skin for neural development in humans
- Tablets make great learning tools for kids, but parents should be vigilant
- Managing expectations critical to easing holiday stress
- Children, Youth, and Families at Risk
A five-year initiative that seeks to insure that children and youth lead positive, secure, and happy young lives while developing the knowledge and competencies necessary for fulfilling adult lives.
- Georgia Teens Ride with Pride
A free, award-winning two-hour course designed to help parents and their teen drivers, ages 14-16, negotiate the process of learning to drive safely.
- Health Navigators
University of Georgia Health Navigators help consumers, small business owners and employees navigate the new health insurance marketplace.
- Youth and Adolescent Development
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to youth and adolescent development.
- Georgia Youth Summit
A statewide event for teams of youth and adults which is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs as part of the Georgia Rural Development Council's Youth Leadership Initiative.
- Children, Youth, and Families Education and Research Network
Practical, research-based information about children and families from US universities.
- Georgia Family Connection Partnership
And organization sharing research and information about building strong families.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Helping Teens Develop Relationship Smarts
A research-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on activities to focus on skills and knowledge necessary for healthy dating relationships.