According to CAES' Sustainable Agriculture website, "sustainable agriculture means the practice of growing food, fiber, feed and fuel in systems that meet the needs of both the present and future generations. Sustainable agriculture emphasizes production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community. Sustainable agriculture systems rely on building healthy soils and crops, enhancing biodiversity, and minimizing the use of non-renewable resources."
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Alternatives to Synthetic Herbicides for Weed Management in Container Nurseries
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Composting and Mulching
- Native Plants for Georgia Part III: Wildflowers
- Organic Cover Crop Seed Production in Georgia
- Beneficial Insects, Spiders, and Mites in the Southeast
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Native Plants for Georgia Part IV: Grasses and Sedges
- Make Every Drop Count: Xeriscape - Seven Steps to a Water-Wise Landscape
- Make Every Drop Count: Proper Planting Results in Healthy, Water-Efficient Plants
- Make Every Drop Count: Managing a Water-Wise Landscape
- Native Plants for Georgia Part II: Ferns
- Native Plants of North Georgia: A Photo Guide for Plant Enthusiasts
- Developing a WaterSmart Landscape
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Healthy Soil, Healthy Community Initiative to provide compost workshops in metro Atlanta
- CAES students use Sustainable UGA grants to better campus
- Human landscapes can offer safety to imperiled pollinators
- UGA Extension, Food Bank of Northeast Georgia partner to increase access to local food, jobs
- UGA offers latest in research and outreach at 2015 Georgia Organic Conference.
- UGA forms statewide partnership to create training program for beginning farmers
- UGA researchers breeding more profitable seed for organic farmers
- Build a compost bin to reduce waste, make plant food
- UGA CAES to offer advanced agriscience and environmental systems courses
- UGA Extension food safety farmers market project wins national award
- Impact Statements: Sustainable Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Agriculture
Offers extensive resources on aspects of production, including soil testing, production, conservation tillage, nutrient management, pest management, pollinators and management intensive grazing. Provides presentations of recent research. Supports small farm and local food entrepreneurs and provides them an FAQ. Includes news, events calendar, and links.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
Organization promoting sustainable agriculture to federal regulatory bodies includes summaries of its activities alongside publications, resources for advocates, and press stories and blog.