According to CAES' Sustainable Agriculture website, "sustainable agriculture means the practice of growing food, fiber, feed and fuel in systems that meet the needs of both the present and future generations. Sustainable agriculture emphasizes production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community. Sustainable agriculture systems rely on building healthy soils and crops, enhancing biodiversity, and minimizing the use of non-renewable resources."
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Alternatives to Synthetic Herbicides for Weed Management in Container Nurseries
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- New Native Little Bluestems
- Cover Crop Biomass Sampling
- The New and Improved Chaste Tree
- The Importance of Preserving Biodiversity in the Urban Landscape and How We Can Help
- Spanish Series: La Importancia de Preservar la Biodiversidad en el Paisaje y cómo Podemos Ayudar
- Native Plants for Georgia Part II: Ferns
- Composting and Mulching
- Native Plants for Georgia Part III: Wildflowers
- Organic Cover Crop Seed Production in Georgia
- Beneficial Insects, Spiders, and Mites in the Southeast
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Native Plants for Georgia Part IV: Grasses and Sedges
- Make Every Drop Count: Xeriscape - Seven Steps to a Water-Wise Landscape
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Rock Eagle 4-H Center looking for a few good seeds for its heritage garden
- 'Garden Guru' Norman Winter to write columns for Georgia media
- Registration is now open for the second year of UGA Extension Journeyman Farmers program; classes start in August
- High-heat, low rainfall set the stage for harmful algal blooms and cyanobacteria
- When no rain falls from above, providing water from below is the best method for plants
- Composting fruit and vegetable scraps requires careful moisture and temperature maintenance
- UGA's fifth annual Organic Twilight Tour set for July 14 in Watkinsville
- Harald Scherm to lead UGA Department of Plant Pathology starting July 1
- Selecting the right plants can make for beautiful shade gardens
- J. Phil Campbell corn boil and sustainable agriculture field day set for June 28
- Impact Statements: Sustainable Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Agriculture
Offers extensive resources on aspects of production, including soil testing, production, conservation tillage, nutrient management, pest management, pollinators and management intensive grazing. Provides presentations of recent research. Supports small farm and local food entrepreneurs and provides them an FAQ. Includes news, events calendar, and links.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
Organization promoting sustainable agriculture to federal regulatory bodies includes summaries of its activities alongside publications, resources for advocates, and press stories and blog.