According to CAES' Sustainable Agriculture website, "sustainable agriculture means the practice of growing food, fiber, feed and fuel in systems that meet the needs of both the present and future generations. Sustainable agriculture emphasizes production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community. Sustainable agriculture systems rely on building healthy soils and crops, enhancing biodiversity, and minimizing the use of non-renewable resources."
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Alternatives to Synthetic Herbicides for Weed Management in Container Nurseries
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Native Plants for Georgia Part IV: Grasses and Sedges
- Make Every Drop Count: Xeriscape - Seven Steps to a Water-Wise Landscape
- Make Every Drop Count: Proper Planting Results in Healthy, Water-Efficient Plants
- Make Every Drop Count: Managing a Water-Wise Landscape
- Native Plants for Georgia Part II: Ferns
- Native Plants of North Georgia: A Photo Guide for Plant Enthusiasts
- Developing a WaterSmart Landscape
- Composting and Mulching
- Native Plants for Georgia Part III: Wildflowers
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- UGA Extension food safety farmers market project wins national award
- Blog is a new UGA resource for Georgia community gardeners
- Once established, wildflowers add to landscape, feed beneficial pollinators
- Drought tolerant conifers create an aesthetic safety net for Georgia's landscape
- Compost pile health can be judged by the company it keeps
- Native Plants of North Georgia app aims to help hikers, teachers and homeowners identify the plants around them
- Coastal Georgia Botanical Garden celebrates second century with expansion and renovation plans
- UGA to host International Plant Propagators' Society Meeting Nov. 2-6
- Soil amendments can be key factor in flower growth
- Saving seeds, a time-honored tradition made timely again
- Impact Statements: Sustainable Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Agriculture
Offers extensive resources on aspects of production, including soil testing, production, conservation tillage, nutrient management, pest management, pollinators and management intensive grazing. Provides presentations of recent research. Supports small farm and local food entrepreneurs and provides them an FAQ. Includes news, events calendar, and links.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
Organization promoting sustainable agriculture to federal regulatory bodies includes summaries of its activities alongside publications, resources for advocates, and press stories and blog.