According to CAES' Sustainable Agriculture website, "sustainable agriculture means the practice of growing food, fiber, feed and fuel in systems that meet the needs of both the present and future generations. Sustainable agriculture emphasizes production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community. Sustainable agriculture systems rely on building healthy soils and crops, enhancing biodiversity, and minimizing the use of non-renewable resources."
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Alternatives to Synthetic Herbicides for Weed Management in Container Nurseries
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Native Plants for Georgia Part II: Ferns
- Composting and Mulching
- Native Plants for Georgia Part III: Wildflowers
- Organic Cover Crop Seed Production in Georgia
- Beneficial Insects, Spiders, and Mites in the Southeast
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Native Plants for Georgia Part IV: Grasses and Sedges
- Make Every Drop Count: Xeriscape - Seven Steps to a Water-Wise Landscape
- Make Every Drop Count: Proper Planting Results in Healthy, Water-Efficient Plants
- Make Every Drop Count: Managing a Water-Wise Landscape
- Native Plants of North Georgia: A Photo Guide for Plant Enthusiasts
- Developing a WaterSmart Landscape
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Borlaug Higher Education for Agricultural Research and Development fellows pursue Norman Borlaug's legacy at UGA
- Save time and build soil composition by mulching fallen leaves with mower
- Top CAES faculty and staff honored at 2015 D.W. Brooks Awards
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- World Food Prize laureate to give 2015 D.W. Brooks Lecture at UGA
- Grant promises blueberry farmers more weapons in fight against spotted wing drosophila
- September was drier than normal despite month-ending rain
- International research and scholarship opportunities improve grad school experience at UGA
- Female farmers flock to UGA Extension workshops this fall
- Healthy Soil, Healthy Community Initiative to provide compost workshops in metro Atlanta
- Impact Statements: Sustainable Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Agriculture
Offers extensive resources on aspects of production, including soil testing, production, conservation tillage, nutrient management, pest management, pollinators and management intensive grazing. Provides presentations of recent research. Supports small farm and local food entrepreneurs and provides them an FAQ. Includes news, events calendar, and links.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
Organization promoting sustainable agriculture to federal regulatory bodies includes summaries of its activities alongside publications, resources for advocates, and press stories and blog.