According to CAES' Sustainable Agriculture website, "sustainable agriculture means the practice of growing food, fiber, feed and fuel in systems that meet the needs of both the present and future generations. Sustainable agriculture emphasizes production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community. Sustainable agriculture systems rely on building healthy soils and crops, enhancing biodiversity, and minimizing the use of non-renewable resources."
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Alternatives to Synthetic Herbicides for Weed Management in Container Nurseries
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Georgia Green*A*Syst: Environmental Checklist for Landscape Professionals
- Native Plants for Georgia Part IV: Grasses and Sedges
- Make Every Drop Count: Xeriscape - Seven Steps to a Water-Wise Landscape
- Make Every Drop Count: Proper Planting Results in Healthy, Water-Efficient Plants
- Make Every Drop Count: Managing a Water-Wise Landscape
- Native Plants for Georgia Part II: Ferns
- Native Plants of North Georgia: A Photo Guide for Plant Enthusiasts
- Developing a WaterSmart Landscape
- Composting and Mulching
- Native Plants for Georgia Part III: Wildflowers
- Make Every Drop Count! Efficient Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Make Every Drop Count: Water Saving Tips when Planning a New Landscape
- Rain Gardens
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- Wildflower Symposium features expert advice for gardening enthusiasts
- Survey says: Georgia farmers interested in forming food hubs as a means of marketing produce, fresh meat, and eggs
- Extension faculty to demonstrate sustainable farming know how at Georgia Organics Conference
- Add new plants now, so they will survive later
- UGA to host sustainable farming basics workshop series
- Gabon and Georgia strike a deal to foster agricultural development
- UGA's Southeast Energy Options Conference features Jimmy Carter and alternative energy experts
- Don't let nagging leaf piles drive you to a hasty shredder or chipper purchase
- Sustainable farming pioneer to speak at UGA Nov. 8
- UGA researchers working toward more water-efficient lawns
- Impact Statements: Sustainable Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to sustainable agriculture.
- Sustainable Agriculture
Offers extensive resources on aspects of production, including soil testing, production, conservation tillage, nutrient management, pest management, pollinators and management intensive grazing. Provides presentations of recent research. Supports small farm and local food entrepreneurs and provides them an FAQ. Includes news, events calendar, and links.
- National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
Organization promoting sustainable agriculture to federal regulatory bodies includes summaries of its activities alongside publications, resources for advocates, and press stories and blog.