These lessons use gardens to teach a wide range of topics from grades K-8.
These garden-based lessons are all aligned to the educational standards for the State of Georgia. They are listed by grade level, and in grades K-5 are further subdivided into earth science, life science, and physical science topics. Grade 6 lessons are aligned with the earth science topics required at that level, grade 7 has life science lessons, and grade 8 has physical science lessons.
- First Grade
- Second Grade
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
- Sixth Grade
- Seventh Grade
- Eighth Grade
Additional Resources for Lesson Plans
These are additional sites containing school garden curricula. Unless otherwise noted, they are not necessarily aligned directly to the Georgia Performance Standards.
- A Garden of Words / Un jardín de palabras (pdf)
A bilingual garden dictionary for elementary schools and after-school gardening programs, from UC Davis.
- Agriculture in the Classroom National Resource Directory
Agriculture in the Classroom is a national program of the Farm Bureau, with activities in Georgia. These lesson plans are not directly designed for Georgia Performance Standards but align with the federal science standards and are closely linked to the GPS.
- California School Garden Network's Curriculum
- Cornell University Garden Activities
Lessons and projects that can take advantage of school gardens; most are aligned to federal science standards.
- Curriculum & Activity Guides
Garden-based curricular resources from LifeLab.
- Environmental Education in Georgia
Includes a great deal of curricula for K-12, much of which can be tied to school gardens, and all of which is tied to the Georgia Performance Standards. Most of these lessons are also listed on the Georgia Department of Education website.
- Garden Earth Naturalist Club
This site has 8 modules from the State Botanical Garden, Georgia 4-H, and the Georgia Museum of Natural History. These activities are directly linked to Georgia Performance Standards for grades K-5.
- Georgia Agricultural Education
Lesson plans and powerpoints related to horticulture, insects, and other garden-related subjects.
- Georgia Organics' Sample Farm to School Lesson Plans
- Got Dirt? - Teaching Tools
Resources and activities from the Got Dirt? school garden program in Wisconsin.
- Growing Minds: Farm to School's Lesson Plans
These K-2 lesson plans are linked to North Carolina standards but may be adaptable to Georgia Performance Standards.
- Junior Master Gardener Curricula
This site has national curricula that can be used by Junior Master Gardeners.
- School Garden Potpourri of Ideas
Fun garden-themed activities for students from Texas A&M.
- The Classroom Victory Garden Project
- University of Florida Curriculum Guides
A list of curriculum resources collected by the University of Florida.
- Where Your Food Comes From
- Beginning Home Gardening Guide