4-H Youth Development
What is Georgia 4-H?
Georgia 4-H helps youth to acquire knowledge, develop life skills and form attitudes that will enable them to become self-directive and productive members of society. The program sets the stage for youth and adults to learn, grow and work together as catalysts for positive change.
Georgia 4-H has a mission to assist youth in acquiring knowledge, developing life skills and forming attitudes that will enable them to become self-directing, productive and contributing members of society. This mission is accomplished through hands-on learning experiences and a focus on agricultural and environmental issues, agriculture awareness, leadership, communication skills, foods and nutrition, health, energy conservation and citizenship.
Georgia 4-H is all about exploring and discovering, encouraging and challenging. As a program of the University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Cooperative Extension System, 4-H is part of the nationwide Extension network.
Members of 4-H are known for sharing their research-based knowledge and technology with others where they live and work. Georgia 4-H combines federal, state, and local expertise and resources.
Environmental education programs are administered by UGA Cooperative Extension at six 4-H centers across the state.
These programs offer teachers and students a combination of resources in the forms of nature and equipment to aid in the learning process. Programs can be customized to meet specific objectives as requested by visiting schools.
- To develop an awareness, knowledge and appreciation for the natural environment
- To cultivate curiosity, critical reasoning and evaluation skills
- To develop positive relationships between students and their teachers
- To make the school program more meaningful by applying knowledge and skills required in the classroom to real-life situations
- To provide experiences in scientific processes, such as observing, measuring, classifying, etc.
- To develop self-confidence and physical fitness
- To develop an appreciation for the local and natural history of an area