Become a Master Gardener!
Thank you for your interest in our Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Training program. We offer this training program every two years, based on local interest and volunteer needs. The next training is scheduled for January 6 to March 17, 2023. Please contact our office and we can add you to our list to receive an application for the next training program.
Is becoming a Master Gardener Extension Volunteer for you?
Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I want to learn more about plants, growing things, and gardening?
- Am I eager to participate in a practical and intensive training program?
- Do I look forward to sharing my knowledge with people in my community?
- Do I have enough time to attend the training & complete my volunteer work?
To Apply: Download Application for 2023.
***Please note the application is a fillable form, but you CANNOT save the form data on your computer unless you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat installed. Be sure to print the completed application BEFORE you exit out of the program to avoid loosing the form data.***
Or, contact us at 770-387-5142 to request an application by mail.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2022
- Applicant Selection by: November 15, 2022.
- If selected: Program fee is $225 due by November 30, 2022.
- 2023 Class Schedule: Friday classes in-person 9am to 3pm, January 6 to March 17.
- This will be a hybrid class schedule with required courses offered in-person and supplemental elective courses offered online. Exams will also be online through the UGA eLearning Commons virtual classroom.
- A high speed Internet connection and home computer, laptop, or tablet will be necessary to access the online content.
The purpose of the Georgia Master Gardener® program is to assist Cooperative Extension by training volunteers to provide current horticultural information through community service and educational gardening projects using applied research and the resources of the University of Georgia.
If there is a Master Gardener Volunteer Program in your area, you can obtain an application through your local County Extension Office. The only requirement is that you have an interest in some aspect of gardening education and, at the conclusion of training, are willing to volunteer a minimum of 50 hours of service to the county Extension program.
Acceptance of applicants is based upon local county program needs. Upon acceptance, applicants are notified of the location and time that classes will take place. A nominal fee is charged in exchange for volunteer service to a county Extension program. To become a certified Georgia Master Gardener®, class attendance is required and you must pass six module exams with a score of 70 percent or better.
The Master Gardener Extension Volunteer program is coordinated in each county by an Extension agent, and each applicant is responsible to him/her for all classes, volunteer work, etc. Master Gardener Extension Volunteers promote, inform, and work with local communities by:
- Answering gardening questions at flower shows, libraries, farmer's markets, garden centers, and in the Extension office.
- Designing & installing public demonstration gardens for education and outreach in the community.
- Troubleshooting plant cultural problems, weeds, insects, & diseases for homeowners.
- Teaching communities how to conserve and enjoy their natural resources.
- Educate youth and adults about gardening through local seminars and workshops.
- Mentoring teachers on how to establish school gardens and connect with STEM education.
For more information about the Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Program, contact your local County Extension office:
- Bartow County Extension - (770) 387-5142
- Cherokee County Extension - (770) 721-7803
- Pickens County Extension - (706) 253-8840
- Cobb County Extension - (770) 528-4070
- Paulding County Extension - (770) 443-7616
- Polk County Extension - (770) 749-2142
- Gordon County Extension - (706) 629-8685
- Floyd County Extension - (706) 295-6210
Address & Phone
Bartow County Extension
320 West Cherokee Ave.
Cartersville, GA 30120
(770) 382-4326 fax