Agriculture & Natural Resources
Areas where your Gilmer County agent can help you include:
- Horticulture and Landscaping
- Soil Testing Service
- Water Quality Analyses
- Pond Management
- Plant Disease Diagnosis
- Weed Identification
- Insect Identification
- Row Crops and Pastures
- Master Gardener Program
Contact us for more information!
Home Horticulture | Lawns, Gardens & Landscapes
For publications relating to lawns, trees, shrubs, flowers, fruits and nuts, vegetables, etc., please visit our Publications page and type in a keyword ('tomatoes', 'pecans'....) in the 'Search Publications' box.
- Weed Identification Reference
- Aquatic Weed Identification Reference
- Invasive Plant Identification Reference
- Native Plant Identification Reference
UGA Extension - Gilmer provides testing services through The University of Georgia. There are many types of tests available such as water, soil, plant tissue, and radon.
Please contact the office at 706-635-4426 to learn test options, pricing, packaging, and office hours for bringing in your test samples. Results are usually available in 8 - 10 business days.
Determining the fertility level of a soil through a soil test is the first step in planning a sound lime and fertilizer program. Most Georgia soils are low in pH and/or one of the essential plant nutrients. Therefore, to maintain normal plant growth, lime and fertilizer must be applied in sufficient quality to meet the crop requirement. A SOIL TEST is the best means available to determine this requirement.
Soil tests are $6.00 per sample, plus shipping.
* Includes pH, Lime Requirement, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc, and Manganese. At least a pint of soil is needed per soil sample to be tested. The lab cannot process samples that are less than a pint. Be sure to pull the soil sample from several spots at random to get a good representative sample. You may bring samples in a pint size plastic freezer bag (filled full) if you don't have a soil sample bag. Please follow the procedures for collecting soil samples below.
Soil Testing the Easy Way for instructions on taking a soil sample.
Soil tests provide information on the soil's actual nutrient status and are used to determine the amount and kind of nutrients that should be added to the soil for the desired crop.
Note: Soil sample bags and water bottles can be picked up at the Extension office.
- Expanded Water- Recommended if water has never been tested. This test addresses common well water quality problems in Georgia such as corrosion, high levels of iron and manganese, and nitrate from various sources. $65
- Basic Mineral - Recommended annual test after Expanded test has been done. $25
- Bacteria Test- Tests for E-coli & Total Coliform. This test is time sensitive and can only be over night shipped Monday through Wednesday to the lab. $36 *Does Not Include Shipping*
- Home Loan Closing Test-Used when purchasing or refinancing a home. Best practice is for the client to contact the lender for clarification on what exactly has to be tested. USDA and VA loans require this test. $85.00 *Does Not Include Shipping*
- Radon in the Water - $30 *Does Not Include Shipping*
- Water Lead Test Only - $45.00 per sample: Lead testing is recommended for homes and/or wells built prior to 1985. Pipes could contain lead solder which could leach into your drinking water.
- Water Arsenic Test Only - $45.00 per sample: Arsenic testing is recommended for wells located on old farm sites where pesticides may have been used for cotton production or fruit orchards between 1920-1940.
- Lead and Arsenic Test Combined--If you would like to have your water tested for both Lead and Arsenic at the same time, the fee is only $55 for a combined sample.
Please contact the office to find out what other water tests are available
Check out our Agriculture and Natural Resources Blog - A Fruitful Discussion by: Ashley Hoppers
Below are some of UGA Extension's most broadly useful resources for those involved in agriculture on the farm, in schools, and around the home.