Gilmer County is located in the North Central portion of Georgia at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, about an hour north of Atlanta, and is known as the "Apple Capital of Georgia," holding an annual Apple Festival in Ellijay in October.
The UGA Extension office is located at 1123 Progress Road in Ellijay. Our staff includes a full time FACS Agent, ANR Agent, 4-H Agent, SNAP-Ed Program Assistant, and Administrative Assistant. Stop by our office anytime between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday, except closed for lunch from 12 noon to 1 pm, and holidays, or browse this web site for more information on what UGA Extension provides in these three program areas:
- Agriculture & Natural Resources (ANR)
- 4-H and Youth Development
- Family And Consumer Sciences (FACS)
The office in Gilmer County has active Master Gardener Extension Volunteers, offers gauge testing for canners, information on the local cannery, summer Farmers Market, November Christmas market, assistance with Pesticide Licenses and GATE Cards, Radon testing both in the air and well water, as well as Soil, Water, Litter, Plant, and Feed & Forage testing, has 4-H Club meetings, camp, teams and competitions, plus educational activities, classes and workshops in all three program areas.
News You Can Use
- Guide to Services
- 4-H Grows Here in Gilmer County; What is 4-H?
- Apple Grower's Meeting
- Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
- VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program
- SNAP-Ed Food Class Series Beginning January 30
- Nutrition and Money/Budget Classes January thru April
- Radon Information
- Guidelines for "When to Save and When to Throw it Out" When the Power Went Out