S.A.F.E. Shooting Sports
What is Project S.A.F.E.?
Project S.A.F.E. (Shooting Awareness, Fun and Education) is an active program, attractive to youth and adult audiences. The program is curriculum based and designed to assist young people in personal development, establish a personal environmental ethic and explore life-long vocational and avocational activities. The program uses experiential learning and positive interactions with youth and adult role models to help young people develop self-concept, self-assurance and a positive self-image.
The program promotes responsibility, decision-making and identifying realistic, personal goals. Participants may elect to compete at a level appropriate for their abilities or pursue other objectives. Participants have shown high achievement in the field, shop or classroom and on target range, but personal development for young people and leaders is the real objective. The program strives to make "every kid a winner," and to "make the best better."
Like other 4-H projects, S.A.F.E. has a subject matter base. It has strong links to natural resources, wildlife, outdoor recreation and safety. The content is drawn from sports medicine, psychology, education, biological and physical sciences engineering, mathematics, technology, as well as American traditions, folklore and history.
Project S.A.F.E. Objectives
- Enhance youth development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting activities.
- To involve youth in a life skills program that teaches safe and responsible use of firearms including sound decision-making, self-discipline and concentration.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocational and life-long avocation activities related to shooting sports.
- To strengthen families through participation in life-long recreational activities.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting and hunter education programs using experiential (hands on) educational methods and progressive development of skills and abilities.
Catoosa County 4-H S.A.F.E. Programs
Due to limited partcipation and a lack of certified volunteers, the BB/Air Rifle (4th-8th grades) team is no longer currently being offered in Catoosa County.