4-H Youth Development
Gordon County 4-H is a positive youth development organization that offers educational programs to K-12 school-age children. The mission of 4-H is to assist youth in acquiring knowledge, developing life skills, and forming attitudes that will enable them to become self-directing, productive, and contributing members of society. See our brochure for additional information.
There are over 1,600 youth enrolled in Gordon County 4-H and 60+ screened and trained adult volunteers actively support the program. There is no cost to be a member, though some optional activities and trips may have a small fee. 4-H members meet monthly, either during school or at one of our after school club meetings. Outside of that, you choose the activities you want to join, and each one has a specific schedule. The time commitment is entirely up to you, but like most things, you get out of 4-H what you put into it.
The 4 H’s stand for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health, and the 4-H pledge below shows how each of these H’s are relevant.
I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
my Heart to greater loyalty,
my Hands to larger service, and
my Health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country and my world.
Gordon County 4-H’ers get to learn, compete, serve, lead, travel, and excel in a variety of ways. Programs offered through Gordon County 4-H include:
- County Council – countywide 4-H club meeting for all Gordon County 4-H’ers
- Cloverbuds – Kindergarten - 3rd grade
- In-School Club Meetings - 4th-12th grade
- Homeschool Club
Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Horse Club
- Judging Teams – making a decision and telling why that decision was made
- Livestock Show Teams and Record Books—Beef Cattle, Goats, Sheep, and Swine
- SAFE (Shooting Awareness, Fun, and Education) Program
- Environmental Education at 4-H Centers
Communication and the Arts
- Project Achievement – a self-directed individual show-and-tell presentation on a student’s topic of choice that gives students the opportunity to explore an area of interest and share their knowledge through a competitive process; projects offered in 50+ topic areas
- Fairs/Festivals – Northwest Georgia Regional Fair,Georgia National Fair
- Arts Contests – Photography, Holiday Card Design, etc.
- Clovers and Company – traveling music performance group of Georgia 4-H
Family and Consumer Sciences
- Cotton Boll and Consumer Judging – learn about consumer goods and services and rank them on how well they satisfy a particular consumer’s need in a given scenario; understand the importance of cotton.
- LifeSmarts — consumer quiz bowl competitions
- Foods and Nutrition Contests – MilkMake, Peanutrition, Egg Preparation, Chicken BBQ, Turkey BBQ, Food Challenge, Food Product Development, Pantry Pride, etc.
Citizenship and Leadership
- Summer Camp – 5 camping facilities across the state, from the beaches and the city to the mountains and the heart of Georgia country
- State Conferences/Rallies – Junior/Senior Conference, Fall Forum, Junior Rally, State Council, etc.
- 4-H Day at the Capitol – tour the State Capitol while the General Assembly is in session, meet and page for legislators
- Club Officer Elections/Training – County, District, State
- Certified Teen Leader Program
- 4-H Ambassadors - issue-based teen educators
- MyPI - emergency preparedness training for teens
- National Opportunities - Southern Regional Teen Leadership Conference, National Conference, Citizenship Washington Focus, Washington Intern Program, National Youth Summit Series, etc.
- Community Service Activities – Rivers Alive cleanup, drives for clothing, school supplies, and pop tabs, ringing the bell for Salvation Army, visiting nursing homes, etc.
- Military Programs - for youth in military families
Awards and Recognition
- Bulldog Bucks - summer rewards trip and Outstanding Gordon County 4-H'er based on participation in incentive program
- Leadership in Action – for 7th-12th grade 4-H’ers to be recognized as leaders in their community, choose an issue and execute an action plan
- Dean’s Award – a cumulative portfolio of 4-H career in one of five project areas
- Key Award – overall participation in 4-H from 7th grade forward
- Scholarships for graduating seniors
Opportunities for Adults
- Coach a competition team and share your skills
- Chaperone youth as they travel to 4-H events
- Volunteer at a local service or competition event
- Serve as a member of the Gordon County 4-H Program Development Team
- Donate either financially or in-kind through goods or services. 4-H is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt nonprofit organization
Weekly Calendar – 4/22/19 This post will begin a new weekly feature on the blog about the upcoming week’s 4-H events, including practices, activities, and programs. Monday, April 22 All 4-H Staff out of the office all day at 4-H Program Preview Archery Practice from 5:30-7:30 p.m. (last one before state competition!) Tuesday, April...
2019 National 4-H Shooting Sports Teen Leadership Institute The National 4-H Shooting Sports Youth Leadership Institute is an outstanding growth opportunity for your shooting sports club members. Texas A&M Kingsville will host the institute on August 6-10, 2019. Support from the National 4-H Shooting Sports Committee covers all expenses at the conference. Participants will be responsible for travel...
Mrs. Allie Goes to Washington This week, I had an incredible opportunity to represent UGA Extension at the Joint Council of Extension Professionals (JCEP) Public Issues Leadership Development (PILD) Conference held in Washington, DC. I was one member of the Georgia delegation, which also included representatives from: the Georgia Association of Extension 4-H Agents (GAE4-HA)...
See our newsletter archive for past issues.
Gordon County 4-H is funded in part by United Way of Gordon County. Your contribution made to United Way stays in Gordon County unless you specifically request it to go elsewhere. Your contribution can even be designated to go directly to Gordon County 4-H.
For more information on how you can contribute, visit the United Way of Gordon County web site at www.gordoncountyunitedway.org.
Thank you for your financial support to United Way of Gordon County and Gordon County 4-H.