What could be more personal than the food you eat? The issue of food safety is as close as your next meal. Yet it covers such widespread challenges as food recalls and imports, the state's booming food processing industry, organic growers and school lunch programs.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- UGA Cooperative Extension and the Georgia Department of Agriculture recognized by Wimba developer
- USAID grant to fund global UGA peanut research
- AgrAbility helping farmers get back to work
- FDA to inspect cantaloupe packinghouses
- Finalists named for 2013 Flavor of Georgia Food Product Contest
- Grant funds UGA research on salmonella in ready-to-eat foods
- Andress Receives National Award for Excellence in Extension
- Tried and true turkey tips for Thanksgiving
- Don't let leftovers linger too long
- Communication key when hosting people with food allergies
- Center for Food Safety
Engages in research for the maintenance and improvement of the microbiological safety of the world's food supply.
- Food Safety and Preservation
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to food safety and preservation.
- Food Safety Resources from the Georgia Peach
A large collection of online resources related to safe food production and handling.
- Food Science Extension Outreach Program
Provides the public and the food industry with unbiased, research-based food safety education.
- Hot Topics: Food Safety
A collection of reports and news stories related to children's health.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Tracking single cases of foodborne illness and investigating outbreaks are critical public health functions in which CDC is deeply involved.
- FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
FDA is responsible for protecting the public health by assuring the safety, effectiveness, and security of our nationâ€™s food supply.
- Fight BAC!Â® Food Safety Education Campaign
A food-safety program presented by the Partnership for Food Safety Education, a non-profit organization that engages public and private sector partners in educating the public about the importance of safe food handling to good health.
- Food Marketing Institute
FMI provides leadership to retailers and wholesalers of food and consumer products, as well as to their supplier partners, by fostering their growth and promoting their role in feeding families and enriching the lives of their customers.
FoodSafety.gov is the gateway to food safety information provided by government agencies.
- Georgia Division of Public Health
DPH is the lead division entrusted by the people of the state of Georgia with the ultimate responsibility for the health of communities and the entire population.
- International Food Information Council (IFIC) Foundation
The International Food Information Council Foundation provides food safety, nutrition, and healthful eating information to help you make good and safe food choices.
- National Food Safety and Toxicology Center at Michigan State University
Provides information and research on food safety and toxicology.
- USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service
The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) is the public health agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture responsible for ensuring that the nation's commercial supply of meat, poultry, and egg products is safe, wholesome, and correctly labeled and packaged.
Cooperative Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- HACCP Certification Courses and Food Safety Training
The Food Science Extension Outreach Program offers industry-specific food safety training courses to food processors in Georgia, the U.S. and internationally.
- ServSafe® Programs
This program offers training for every level of the food service industry in a variety of training delivery methods.