When people become educated about financial management, they become empowered to live a better life. Extension's basic financial capability programs are designed to help consumers plan spending to meet needs, wants and goals today and in the future.
Extension also offers programs to help consumers improve credit scores, get out of debt, and rebuild credit after bankruptcy. Preventive education helps consumers use credit wisely and avoid problems before they start.
Planning, Saving, and Investing
We provide resources to help people understand wealth accumulation, protection, and distribution, including estate planning, insurance, and investing.
- Radon Mitigation Dos and Don'ts
- Get Smart About Identity Theft
- How You Spend Makes a Difference
- Eat Healthy, Be Active Series: Healthy Eating on a Budget
- Your Good Credit Series: Understanding Your Credit Report
- Your Good Credit Series: Understanding Your Credit Score
- Your Good Credit Series: Managing Credit Wisely
- When Your Income Drops Series: Moving Forward
- When Your Income Drops Series: What About Your Assets?
- When Your Income Drops Series: Planning your Spending
- When Your Income Drops Series: Insurance Matters
- When Your Income Drops Series: Tap into Community Resources
- When Your Income Drops Series: Housing: Your Top Priority
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Georgia's sales tax holiday hits stores July 30
- Add "testing for radon" to the homebuying checklist
- From programmable thermostats to HVAC checkups, UGA Extension offers energy-saving tips
- Service-learning courses can positively impact post-graduate salaries, UGA study finds
- Demand for agriculture graduates on the rise across the nation, USDA reports
- Overspending on gifts doesn't make the holiday season brighter
- Gift cards make great gifts but some come with strings attached
- UGA ag school cuts ribbon on net zero research home on campus in Tifton
- UGA receives $8.2 million grant to support families in Georgia child welfare system
- Chambliss and Breedlove inducted into the Georgia Agricultural Hall of Fame
- Finances: Capability, Credit, and Planning
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to finances.
- Hot Topics: Poverty in Georgia
A collection of reports and news stories related to poverty in Georgia.
- Impact Statements: Financial Planning
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to financial planning.
- Consumer Information Center
A range of free resources for consumers.
- Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs
Information and advocacy for Georgia residents.
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Governmental site that makes consumer complaint stories public.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Bankruptcy Education Classes
UGA Extension Family and Consumer Sciences Agents are approved providers of educational programs mandated by the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005.