Agriculture & Natural Resources
UGA Extension Monroe County offers information related to agriculture, natural resources and the environment. We work with farmers, landowners and gardeners on a variety of topics and issues related to sustaining agriculture, protecting the environment and conserving natural resources. We can help you with integrated pest management, nutrient management, soil fertility management, pond management, gardening, lawn care, crop and livestock production, timber and wildlife management and a host of many other issues. Give us a call or stop to visit and pick up some unbiased, research based information.
Holiday Floral Design Class -December 6th
UGA Grassmasters - 2019
To sign up for Grassmasters please visit: https://estore.uga.edu/C27063_ustores/web/classic/store_main.jsp?STOREID=324&clearPreview=true
Whether you are looking to increase your crop yield, grow healthier roses, test the quality of your drinking water, make sure your creek water isn't polluted, or making sure your cows are getting the best feed, we can help. Call or stop by our office to get more information.
Soil Test (1 pint)
- S1 Soil Test. A routine soil sample will test for pH, lime requirements, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese. The fee is $9.00 ($6.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample for one, two, or three samples. The postage fee is $2.00 for four or more samples submitted at same time by an individual client. It will take approximately 7-10 working days to process. Soil probes are available for loan to pull the sample. Call the office at (478) 994-7014 to request the use of a soil probe. There is a $50 deposit required for the use of the soil probe refundable if returned undamaged within 7 days.
Water Test (8 ounces)
- W1. A basic water sample will test for pH and hardness, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, aluminum, chromium, manganese, copper, cadmium, iron, zinc, sodium, nickel. magnesium, boron, molybdenum and silica. To have your well water tested, you will need to take 8 ounces of water in a clean jar to the Extension office. The fee is $23.00 ($20.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample and will take approximately 7-10 working days.
Feed and Forage Analysis
- F1 Hay and Silage (NIR + nitrate + minerals) - $40.00 + postage
- F2 Hay and Silage (NIR = nitrate) - $20.00 + postage
- F3 Hay and Silage (NIR) - $15.00 + postage
- F7 All Other Feeds - $45.00 + postage
- F14 Nitrate only - $13.00 + postage
- F18 Moisture only - $12.00 + postage
Poultry Litter Sample
- This test is available for Georgia poultry producers. This test analyzes the litter for nutrient content including nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. The UGA lab requires samples to be submitted in double zip-lock bags. A $2.00 postage fee is the only charge for this test for poultry producers. For buyers/handlers, there is a $52.00 lab fee plus $3.00 postage.
- Pond water samples can be tested at the Extension Office for water hardness to determine lime requirement and dissolved oxygen. This is a free test provided by the agent.
- For information on Georgia weather conditions go to www.Georgiaweather.net
Christmas Trees link UGA Extension has several considerations for consumers to be mindful of when choosing a tree for their homes.
Palmer Amaranth Management link Glyphosate-resistant Palmer amaranth, also called pigweed, can reach heights of 7 to 10 feet.
Extension Vegetable Specialist link Andre da Silva's research focus at UGA-Tifton is with fertilizer and irrigation management in vegetables.