Agriculture & Natural Resources
UGA Extension Monroe County offers information related to Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Please visit our office for brochures and literature on home gardening, farming, landscaping, insect and pest control and more.
Vegtable Gardening Workshop
Come join us for our Vegtable Gardening Workshop March 5th at 6 pm at the Monroe County Extension Office to learn more to prepare for a successful growing season.
Soil Test (1 pint)
- S1 Soil Test. A routine soil sample will test for pH, lime requirements, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese. The fee is $9.00 ($6.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample for one, two, or three samples. The postage fee is $2.00 for four or more samples submitted at same time by an individual client. It will take approximately 7-10 working days to process. Soil probes are available for loan to pull the sample. Call the office at (478) 994-7014 to request the use of a soil probe. There is a $50 deposit required for the use of the soil probe refundable if returned undamaged within 7 days.
Water Test (8 ounces)
- W1. A basic water sample will test for pH and hardness, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, aluminum, chromium, manganese, copper, cadmium, iron, zinc, sodium, nickel. magnesium, boron, molybdenum and silica. To have your well water tested, you will need to take 8 ounces of water in a clean jar to the Extension office. The fee is $23.00 ($20.00 + $3.00 postage) per sample and will take approximately 7-10 working days.
Feed and Forage Analysis
- F1 Hay and Silage (NIR + nitrate + minerals) - $40.00 + postage
- F2 Hay and Silage (NIR = nitrate) - $20.00 + postage
- F3 Hay and Silage (NIR) - $15.00 + postage
- F7 All Other Feeds - $45.00 + postage
- F14 Nitrate only - $13.00 + postage
- F18 Moisture only - $12.00 + postage
Poultry Litter Sample
- This test is available for Georgia poultry producers. This test analyzes the litter for nutrient content including nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. The UGA lab requires samples to be submitted in double zip-lock bags. A $2.00 postage fee is the only charge for this test for poultry producers. For buyers/handlers, there is a $52.00 lab fee plus $3.00 postage.
- Pond water samples can be tested at the Extension Office for water hardness to determine lime requirement and dissolved oxygen. This is a free test provided by the agent.
- UGA Forage Newsletter and Georgia Forages Website
- UGA Media Newswire
- UGA Honey Bee Program
- Pecan Growers Newsletter
- For information on Georgia weather conditions go to www.Georgiaweather.net