Agriculture & Natural Resources
Testing & Sampling Procedures
We provide testing for:
Prices vary depending on the type of test needed. There is also a $2 postage charge on all samples submitted by our office. Please contact our office (706-453-2083) for more information.
Forage Pest Update
Bermudagrass Stem Maggot
1) Large infestation give a field a dull or frost damaged appearance. Affected leaves are easily pulled out of their sheath on individual plants with damage.
2) Once a stand is 6 inches or taller and has been damaged it should be harvested. Stands beyond this stage are unlikely to generate more forage until damaged portions are removed and total plant height is reduced to 3-4 inches to promote regrowth.
3) 2 treatments are normally required to reduce production losses.
BSM: (Latest control recs:
Fall Army Worm
Again to this point and to my knowledge these have not been reported within the county. When and if that time does come please keep in mind three important factors:
1) What stage your forage crop is in? Is it far enough along that your most economical control option is to harvest the forage? If you do use a chemical control method what is the associated post-harvest withdrawal and how will the extra time change your forage quality?
2) What size are the caterpillars? If they are less than .5 inches a growth regulator can be an effective tool to provides some residual. If they are over .5 inches a contact kill is your best option.
3) Application timing is an important factor? If worms are most active on cloudy days and during the cooler time periods of the day these are the times where your pesticide applications offer the most benefit.
FAW: (Latest control recs: http://georgiaforages.caes.uga.edu/documents/caterpillarpestsinpasturesandhay.pdf
FAW Control Options: Active Ingredients
CONTACT KILL & INGESTION
• carbaryl (Sevin)
• cyfluthrin (Baythroid)
• lambda-cyhalothrin (Karate)
• zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang Maxx)
• spinosad (Tracer, Blackhawk)
• chlorantraniliprole (Prevathon)
GROWTH CYCLE REGULATORS
• Diflubenzuron (Dimilin)
• Methoxyfenozide (Intrepid)
Mar 3, 2018 Lake Country Invitational Livestock Judging Contest Livestock Judging Contest open to all 4-H and FFA members. All 4-H and FFA members will be scored as individuals. Team Scores will not be tabulated. Participants will not be separated by organization. Contest classes will be a result of availability of livestock with up to eight (8) classes including market and/or breeding in beef, swine, sheep and/or goats. Greensboro, GA
Complete the form below to register for an Upcoming Event or call 706-453-2083.
Memberships & Classes
- Greene Area Cattlemen's Association
Next Meeting September 7, 2017
Pesticide credits may be available to attendees
Educational programming for area cattlemen
Contact: Jon Dyar (706-318-3042)
- Piedmont Area Poultry Association
Next quarterly meeting October 24, 2017
Educational programming for area poultry producers
Contact: David Daniel (706-453-2083)
- Greene County Livestock Association
Coordinates the Pro-Rodeo and 3 Junior Rodeos at the Expo Center next to the Extension Office.
Contact: Charles Crumbley (706-338-9000)
- Greene-Morgan Landowners Association