Eat Breakfast Together (C 1037-09)Download PDF
Eat Breakfast: Eating breakfast helps your family start the day in a healthy way.
It can be challenging to provide a healthy meal each morning for your family. Mornings are often filled with rushing to get the whole family ready, leaving little or no time to prepare and eat breakfast.
Try to enjoy breakfast as a family. This allows your family to connect in the morning, and promotes healthy eating habits. Make time to eat a healthy morning meal with your child, and mention the importance of fueling your body.
If your family is too hurried to sit down for breakfast together, it is important to provide a healthy breakfast to eat on the go.
Ideas for a quick breakfast:
- Fresh fruit and toast
- Yogurt and granola
- Cereal and milk
- Fruit smoothie
- Trail mix or granola bar with milk
*The Nemours Foundation. (2012). KidsHealth: Breakfast Basics. Retrieved from http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/healthy_eating/breakfast.html
Family Fun Activity: Breakfast Picnic
Use this easy activity to help your child learn.
What You Need:
- Dishes and utensils
- Depending on location, you may need a blanket, containers, etc.
What To Do:
- Invite your child to join you for a breakfast picnic
- Choose a different location than where you normally eat breakfast, such as:
- Living room
- Allow your child to help you pack a healthy breakfast to bring to this location
- Enjoy your breakfast while spending time with your child
This is publication 9 out of 24 in the Eat Healthy, Be Active: Keeping Children Healthy at Home and School series. For more information visit www.eathealthybeactive.net