Soil Testing & Preparation
Successful crops and gardens start with healthy soil. Farmers and gardeners who take the time to educate themselves about the nutrient and fertility levels of their soil, and to correct problems before they plant, save money and time and ultimately have healthier plants. This page provides information about soil tests and amendments for the home and commercial gardeners, including composting.
- Turfgrass Fertility: Soil Texture, Organic Matter, Aeration, and pH
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
- Cation Exchange Capacity and Base Saturation
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Fall Gardening: A Collection of Information and Resources
- Ornamental Plantings on Septic Drainfields
- Mulching Vegetables
- Soil Preparation and Planting Procedures for Ornamental Plants in the Landscape
- Soil Salinity Testing, Data Interpretation and Recommendations
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns, Gardens and Wildlife Food Plots
- Composting and Mulching
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Hoe, mulch to control weeds in home vegetable gardens
- Shop seed catalogs and try new and heirloom varieties in this year's garden
- Search for a level, sunny spot when selecting a vegetable garden site
- Poultry industry byproduct is valuable natural fertilizer
- Time to shake off those winter blues with garden planning and yard projects
- Build a compost bin to reduce waste, make plant food
- UGA Extension food safety farmers market project wins national award
- Pesticide collection day at Brooks County Extension office Nov. 12
- Successfully transplanting landscape plants takes forethought, preparation
- Georgia's under the spotlight at this year's Sunbelt Expo
- Agricultural & Environmental
Provides soil, plant, and water testing as well as other laboratory services.
- Composting 101
How and why to compost.
- Organic Vegetable Production
Soil building basics and other organic techniques.
- Soil Testing in Georgia
Information about how and why to get your garden soil tested.
- Web Soil Survey
Provides soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.