Soil Testing & Preparation
Successful crops and gardens start with healthy soil. Farmers and gardeners who take the time to educate themselves about the nutrient and fertility levels of their soil, and to correct problems before they plant, save money and time and ultimately have healthier plants. This page provides information about soil tests and amendments for the home and commercial gardeners, including composting.
- Urban Gardening: Assessing Soils for Contamination
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns, Gardens and Wildlife Food Plots
- Soil Salinity Testing, Data Interpretation and Recommendations
- Composting and Mulching
- Turfgrass Fertility: Soil Texture, Organic Matter, Aeration, and pH
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
- Cation Exchange Capacity and Base Saturation
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Fall Gardening: A Collection of Information and Resources
- Ornamental Plantings on Septic Drainfields
- Mulching Vegetables
- Soil Preparation and Planting Procedures for Ornamental Plants in the Landscape
- Soil Test Handbook for Georgia
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Annual Turfgrass Conference to be held in Tifton
- Tips from UGA Extension will keep you serving squash year-round
- Plan before you plant for a successful summer vegetable garden
- Hoe and mulch to control weeds in home vegetable gardens
- Add organic matter, water deeply for healthy tomato plants
- UGA expert advises farmers that it's not too late to soil sample their fields
- Include a landscape makeover in your New Year's resolutions
- UGA research trials show that added nitrogen is not required for first-year pecan trees
- Save time and build soil composition by mulching fallen leaves with mower
- UGA agricultural honor society honors former dean for his contributions to the college
- Agricultural & Environmental
Provides soil, plant, and water testing as well as other laboratory services.
- Composting 101
How and why to compost.
- Organic Vegetable Production
Soil building basics and other organic techniques.
- Soil Testing in Georgia
Information about how and why to get your garden soil tested.
- Web Soil Survey
Provides soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.