Soil Testing & Preparation
Successful crops and gardens start with healthy soil. Farmers and gardeners who take the time to educate themselves about the nutrient and fertility levels of their soil, and to correct problems before they plant, save money and time and ultimately have healthier plants. This page provides information about soil tests and amendments for the home and commercial gardeners, including composting.
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Cation Exchange Capacity and Base Saturation
- Turfgrass Fertility Series: Turfgrass Fertility: Understanding Fertilizer Labels, Macronutrients, and Micronutrients
- Care of Ornamental Plants in the Landscape
- Urban Gardening: Assessing Soils for Contamination
- Cover Crop Biomass Sampling
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns, Gardens and Wildlife Food Plots
- Soil Salinity Testing, Data Interpretation and Recommendations
- Composting and Mulching
- Turfgrass Fertility Series: Turfgrass Fertility: Soil Texture, Organic Matter, Aeration, and pH
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
- Fall Gardening: A Collection of Information and Resources
- Ornamental Plantings on Septic Drainfields
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Conservation Production Systems Training Conference slated for south Georgia Jan. 31-Feb. 2
- Pansies partner well with snapdragons, thyme and cypress in cool-season containers
- Foundation plants must tolerate hot conditions and hard soil
- Saturated soil no good for gardening or driving
- Fall is the proper planting time for woody ornamentals
- Copper Worth Every Penny In the Summer Landscape
- Atlanta's only soil festival digs into second year of fun on Aug. 27
- UGA turfgrass research highlighted at Griffin Campus field day
- Curcuma gingers are the crown jewels of the plant world
- 'Garden Guru' Norman Winter to write columns for Georgia media
- Agricultural & Environmental
Provides soil, plant, and water testing as well as other laboratory services.
- Composting 101
How and why to compost.
- Organic Vegetable Production
Soil building basics and other organic techniques.
- Soil Testing in Georgia
Information about how and why to get your garden soil tested.
- Web Soil Survey
Provides soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.