Soil Testing & Preparation
Successful crops and gardens start with healthy soil. Farmers and gardeners who take the time to educate themselves about the nutrient and fertility levels of their soil, and to correct problems before they plant, save money and time and ultimately have healthier plants. This page provides information about soil tests and amendments for the home and commercial gardeners, including composting.
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
- Cation Exchange Capacity and Base Saturation
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Fall Gardening: A Collection of Information and Resources
- Ornamental Plantings on Septic Drainfields
- Mulching Vegetables
- Soil Preparation and Planting Procedures for Ornamental Plants in the Landscape
- Soil Salinity Testing, Data Interpretation and Recommendations
- Soil Testing for Home Lawns, Gardens and Wildlife Food Plots
- Composting and Mulching
- Soil Test Handbook for Georgia
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Successfully transplanting landscape plants takes forethought, preparation
- Georgia's under the spotlight at this year's Sunbelt Expo
- UGA student represents U.S. at international soil judging competition
- Fall cover crop will boost spring garden soil's nutrient content
- Blog is a new UGA resource for Georgia community gardeners
- Compost pile health can be judged by the company it keeps
- UGA researcher studying Durana white clover as living mulch in corn fields
- UGA awarded $1.4 million to study critical earth zone in Sumter National Forest
- Farmer uses SARE grant to study winter cover crops
- Plan before you plant for a successful summer vegetable garden
- Agricultural & Environmental
Provides soil, plant, and water testing as well as other laboratory services.
- Composting 101
How and why to compost.
- Organic Vegetable Production
Soil building basics and other organic techniques.
- Soil Testing in Georgia
Information about how and why to get your garden soil tested.
- Web Soil Survey
Provides soil data and information produced by the National Cooperative Soil Survey.