Pests of Humans
Pests of humans and our environments come in all shapes and sizes, from the tiny louse to the common rat. This page provides resources to keep people and their homes safe from the pests that prey on them, and to help create clean and healthy human environments. Larger pests such as raccoons, deer, and armadillos are discussed on the Nuisance Animal page of this section.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Georgia Pest Management Handbook—Home and Garden Edition
- Termite Control Services: Information for the Georgia Property Owner
- Biology and Management of Carpenter Ants
- Managing Imported Fire Ants in Urban Areas
- Biology of Subterranean Termites in the Eastern United States
- Spanish Series: La Biología de Termitas Subterráneas del Este de los Estados Unidos
- Poisonous Plants in the Landscape
- Stinging and Biting Pests
- Millipedes and Centipedes
- Urban Entomology Pest Series: The Tawny Crazy Ant, Nylanderia fulva, in Georgia
- Urban Entomology Pest Series: Carpenter Ants
- Honey Bee Swarms and Bees in Walls
- Urban Entomology Pest Series: Argentine Ants
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Neurodevelopmental model of Zika may provide rapid answers
- Cordele-area farmers invited to safely discard unused pesticides at Sept. 30 event
- UGA scientist Kris Braman named head of university's entomology department
- Zika is making headlines, but West Nile virus may be more prevalent this year
- Don't let ticks keep you out of the woods this summer.
- Dry weather has given some parts of Georgia a slow start to mosquito season, but Georgians are urged to remain vigilant
- Pollen counts help allergy sufferers manage symptoms
- Rabbits can be rascally foes in the garden
- Spring is the time to eliminate mosquito habitats from the landscape
- There are no truly deer-resistant plants
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Urban Pest Management Program-Griffin
Training, certification and detailed information on termites and other pests.