Georgia forests, located in the heart of the nation's "wood basket," cover some 24.8 million acres. In the past 10 years, total forest land has been gradually increasing. Forests now cover 67 percent of the land area statewide, making Georgia the largest timber-producing state in the southeastern U.S.
In 2004, 131 out 159 counties were greater than 50 percent forested.
Georgia is home to nearly 1,400 forest products manufacturers. The state is consistently ranked near the top in pulp and paper production and in the top ten lumber-producing states.
Artificial and natural reforestation and afforestation averages more than 406,000 acres per year. At the same time, the annual final harvest averages less than 322,000 acres. In spite of increasing demands on Georgia's forest, the state's timber inventories are higher than they were 10 years ago.
Through professional forest management, Georgia's largest renewable resource can meet society's demands well into the 21st century.
Georgia's forest-products industry is environmentally friendly, based on a renewable resource wisely managed by professional foresters. Forest products are recyclable and biodegradable, making them a natural choice for today's environmentally conscious consumers.
Commercial and Professional Publications
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Climate Learning Network website compiles the best and latest work by scientists and Extension experts
- Christmas trees can be recycled into fish habitats, mulch and more
- Live Christmas trees can be enjoyed indoors now, planted outdoors later
- Selecting a live Christmas tree? Follow these tips from UGA Extension
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- Tiny fungi can weaken roots and kill trees
- Fall is the best time to add new trees to the landscape
- September field day will cover wildlife control, land management and more
- Agroforestry and Wildlife Field Day set for September in Griffin
- UGA surveying landowners about economic damage caused by feral swine
- Forest *A* Syst
Tools to manage your private woodlands
- Impact Statements: Forestry
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to forestry.
An online course on the establishment and management principles for pine forests in the Southeastern United States
- Southern Regional Extension Forestry
This cooperation of southern land-grant universities is to identify, prescribe, and implement a mix of education and technical services that increase the efficiency of forestry programs.
- UGA Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health: Forest Resources Information
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
This college homepage includes resources targeted to students, researchers and communities with ecological concerns.
- Georgia Forestry Association
Promotes the interests of Georgia's extractive and wood products industries on regulatory and legislative issues. Provides some educational resources, links and contacts.
- Georgia Forestry
Includes extensive information on forest fires, forest management, and forest products.
- Society of American Foresters
Provides education, certification, career, and community resources for current and future forestry professionals.
- US Forest Service
Provides resources for forest protection and management, forestry research, local and federal government programs and government forestry employees.