Georgia forests, located in the heart of the nation's "wood basket," cover some 24.8 million acres. In the past 10 years, total forest land has been gradually increasing. Forests now cover 67 percent of the land area statewide, making Georgia the largest timber-producing state in the southeastern U.S.
In 2004, 131 out 159 counties were greater than 50 percent forested.
Georgia is home to nearly 1,400 forest products manufacturers. The state is consistently ranked near the top in pulp and paper production and in the top ten lumber-producing states.
Artificial and natural reforestation and afforestation averages more than 406,000 acres per year. At the same time, the annual final harvest averages less than 322,000 acres. In spite of increasing demands on Georgia's forest, the state's timber inventories are higher than they were 10 years ago.
Through professional forest management, Georgia's largest renewable resource can meet society's demands well into the 21st century.
Georgia's forest-products industry is environmentally friendly, based on a renewable resource wisely managed by professional foresters. Forest products are recyclable and biodegradable, making them a natural choice for today's environmentally conscious consumers.
Commercial and Professional Publications
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- Race to save Georgia's massive hemlocks receives boost from Legacy Tree Project
- UGA awarded $1.4 million to study critical earth zone in Sumter National Forest
- Native Plants of North Georgia app aims to help hikers, teachers and homeowners identify the plants around them
- UGA Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health hosts Chinese delegation
- Profits predicted to be low in 2014 for Georgia row crop farmers
- Christmas trees can be recycled into fish habitats, mulch and more
- Check with a consultant before planting specialty trees for profit
- Georgia grown Fraser fir Christmas trees on the horizon
- UGA's Southeast Energy Options Conference features Jimmy Carter and alternative energy experts
- 2013 Ag Forecast to focus on agricultural exports
- Forest *A* Syst
Tools to manage your private woodlands
- Impact Statements: Forestry
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to forestry.
An online course on the establishment and management principles for pine forests in the Southeastern United States
- UGA Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health: Forest Resources Information
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
This college homepage includes resources targeted to students, researchers and communities with ecological concerns.
- Georgia Forestry Association
Promotes the interests of Georgia's extractive and wood products industries on regulatory and legislative issues. Provides some educational resources, links and contacts.
- Georgia Forestry
Includes extensive information on forest fires, forest management, and forest products.
- Society of American Foresters
Provides education, certification, career, and community resources for current and future forestry professionals.
- US Forest Service
Provides resources for forest protection and management, forestry research, local and federal government programs and government forestry employees.