Corn is more widely grown than any other Georgia crop. Yields were low until 1948 when hybrids better adapted to Southern growing conditions were developed.
In 2008, Georgia produced 43.4 million bushels of corn for grain and 810 thousand tons of corn for silage. This corn is primarily used for animal feed and is not for human consumption.
Most of the corn production in Georgia occurs in the southern counties. In 2009, corn made up 10.8 percent of row and forage crops.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Reducing Aflatoxin in Corn During Harvest and Storage
- Georgia Corn Diagnostic Guide
- Corn Production Safety and Health for Farmers
- 2011 Georgia Corn Performance Tests
- 2013 Georgia Corn Performance Tests
- 2012 Georgia Corn Performance Tests
- Production Costs vs. Feeding Value of Forages
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Challenges await this year for Georgia's corn growers
- Lower input prices provide farmers hope for higher profits in 2017
- Curiosity and data-driven agriculture helped Georgia Farmer of the Year John McCormick make his mark
- Saturated soil no good for gardening or driving
- Georgia corn production up this year
- Georgia Ag Commissioner leads UGA President, Ag Dean on fourth annual ag tour
- UGA plant breeder takes the mystery out of GMO crops
- Researchers with the UGA CAES brought in $69 million in external funding during fiscal year 2016
- Georgia heads into August with a near record number of days over 95 degrees
- CAES graduate students take to the road to explore career opportunities
- Corn Production
Resources on managing, troubleshooting and understanding corn production from the University's Grain Team.
- Georgia Forages: Corn
Relates to the state's corn production going to grain, silage and biofuel.
- Impact Statements: Corn
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to corn.
- National Corn Growers Association
Organization representing corn growers before legislative and regulatory bodies.
- The Corn Grower's Guide Book
Extensive index of corn-related websites and publications.
- The Maize Page
Detailed corn growing and corn product information from Iowa State University Extension.