Contact Your County Office


Frequently Asked Questions

Q. "What is a PA, PC, and NFP?"

A. These are our acronyms for Process Approval, Product Classification, and Nutrition Facts Panel. Head over to "Our Services" to see more about each of these.

Q. "I'm trying to get my food product on the market. Where do I start?"

A. Start with a Product Classification. Once we have done your product classification, talk to the Georgia Department of Agriculture. If you don't know where you'll be making or packaging your product, check out our "Resources" page for a list of shared kitchens and co-packers. Once you have decided on a shared kitchen/co-packer, you will need to apply for a license to cook in the shared kitchen. The Georgia Department of Agriculture can help you with this. If your PC determined that your product is acidified, you will need to apply for a process approval. If you have a co-packer, they will send us the PA paperwork. Your manufactured foods license is then taken care of by the GDA.

Q." How do I send you the paperwork?" 

A. You can fill out our forms online, print them, and then Email them to us. You can also print them out, hand-write in all the information, and scan and email them back to us.

Q. "Do I need a process approval or a product classification?"

A. If you know that your product is acidified, you can directly apply for a process approval. If you do not know whether or not your product is acidified, then you will need to begin with a product classification. This will determine whether or not you need a process approval.

Q. "What will I get from you when I purchase a Nutrition Facts Panel for my product?"

A. We provide you with the Nutrition Facts Panel, Ingredient Statement, Allergen Statement, and a breakdown of the nutrient content of your product.  

Q. "Do I need to send you a sample?"

A. YES! You will send a sample of your product to us whenever you send in your paperwork for a Product Classification or Process Approval. Whenever you send us a sample, the only time it needs to be in its "final" container is when you are requesting a Process Approval.