S.A.F.E. Shooting Sports
Fulton County 4-H offers a BB Team for youth in 4th-8th grade. We will be holding an family interest meeting in late 2019 and anticipate team practices to begin in January 2020. Learn more here.
We are in need of BB and additional Project S.A.F.E. disciplines (archery, shotgun, air rifle, air pistol, 22 rimfire) coaches! All shooting sports teams are coached and led by volunteers. Coaches must complete the UGA Volunteer Screening process and attend a weekend-long training course in September, December, or January. Team coordinators assist coaches by organizing team practices, communicating with families, and serving as the main point of contact for the team. Team coordinators must also complete the UGA Volunteer Screening process. If you are interested in serving as a shooting sports coach or team coordinator, please contact Von Baker at email@example.com.
What is Project S.A.F.E. ?
Project S.A.F.E. (Shooting Awareness, Fun and Education) is an active program, attractive to youth and adult audiences. The program is curriculum based and designed to assist young people in personal development, establish a personal environmental ethic and explore life-long vocational and avocational activities. The program uses experiential learning and positive interactions with youth and adult role models to help young people develop self-concept, self-assurance and a positive self-image.
The program promotes responsibility, decision-making and identifying realistic, personal goals. Participants may elect to compete at a level appropriate for their abilities or pursue other objectives. Participants have shown high achievement in the field, shop or classroom and on target range, but personal development for young people and leaders is the real objective. The program strives to "make the best better."
Like other 4-H projects, S.A.F.E. has a subject matter base. It has strong links to natural resources, wildlife, outdoor recreation and safety. The content is drawn from sports medicine, psychology, education, biological and physical sciences engineering, mathematics, technology, as well as American traditions, folklore and history.
Project S.A.F.E. Objectives
- Enhance youth development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting activities.
- To involve youth in a life skills program that teaches safe and responsible use of firearms including sound decision-making, self-discipline and concentration.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocational and life-long avocation activities related to shooting sports.
- To strengthen families through participation in life-long recreational activities.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting and hunter education programs using experiential (hands on) educational methods and progressive development of skills and abilities.
Fulton County 4-H S.A.F.E. Programs
Update 9/21/2020 - Fulton County 4-H is unable to host face-to-face programming at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As S.A.F.E. programs cannot be conducted in a virtual format, it is unlikely we will be able to offer BB shooting sports for the 2020-2021 school year. Please check back later this fall for updates on the possibility of a spring 2021 program.
For more information, contact Von Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org.