- I. General Information
- II. Nutrient Generation and Handling
- III. Crop Information and Litter Application
- IV. Phosphorous-Index Calculation Components
- V. Other Information
This publication outlines the information needed to develop a Comprehensive Nutrient Management Plan (CNMP) for dry poultry litter operations. The information collected from this checklist can be used in the CNMP Generator computer software developed by the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension. CNMP Generator software is available from county Extension agents and other state agricultural agency personnel. Completing a CNMP using the CNMP Generator software meets the NPDES permit requirements of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Division.
- Operator name, mailing address, telephone number, directions to the farm.
- General farm description, including number of houses and number of birds produced each year.
- Farm maps showing field boundaries, field acreage and location of all surface waters and wells. Aerial photographs, soil maps or hand-drawn maps can be used.
- Certification statement, signed by operator.
- Annual waste generation estimate, including a record of the amount of litter removed from storage and/or production buildings.
- Manure nutrient analysis for each type of litter generated on the farm (e.g., cake, cleanout litter, compost, etc.).
- Description of waste handling facilities (e.g., stack houses, compost buildings, etc.).
- Description of manure spreader capacity and calibration frequency.
- Plan and/or record of off-farm transport of litter, if any, including recipient and amount removed.
- Total acres included within the CNMP.
- Number of acres in each field, including spreadable acres.
- Soil test analysis for each field where litter is applied.
- Time of year litter is applied and method of application (e.g., broadcast, injection, etc.)
- Each field’s dominant soil type.
- Crops to be grown and realistic yield expectations for each field.
- Summary of needed nutrients (NPK) for each crop to be grown, based on crop yield expectations.
- Best Management Practices (BMPs) used on each application field (e.g., cover crops, vegetative buffer strips, litter additives, strip cropping, terraces, etc.). BMPs are recommended practices, not mandatory action plans.
- Depth to water table.
- Estimated annual field erosion rates.*
- Curve number for runoff estimation.*
*This information will be provided in the CNMP Generator software.
- Annual mortality and disposal methods.
- Contingency plans for mass mortality disposal.
- Emergency phone numbers (e.g., EPD, local emergency services, agricultural agencies, neighbors, etc.)
The completed CNMP must be kept at the poultry operation, accessible as needed by state agency personnel, and updated when components and management practices change. The CNMP is not submitted to or kept on file with Georgia EPD. Contact your local county Extension office for additional information on developing a CNMP and for assistance with the CNMP Generator software.
Status and Revision History
Published on Apr 14, 2005
Published on Feb 09, 2009
Published on Sep 11, 2009
Published with Full Review on Dec 16, 2013
Published with Full Review on Sep 09, 2016