Housing & Home Environment
Extension's goal is for individuals of all ages to have access to affordable, safe, and decent housing.
We provide users with information about water and energy conservation, reducing waste, buying or renting a home, and improving the indoor environment by reducing pollutants like mold, radon, lead, and volatile organic compounds. These resources allow families and individuals to create healthy, safe, and sustainable homes and improve their quality of life.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Iron (Manganese) and Sulfur Bacteria in Your Well Water
- Household Water Quality Series: Radon in Your Water
- Mold and Moisture Home Inspection
- Home Maintenance Checklist
- Leave it at the Door: A Guide to Reducing Contaminants in Your Home
- Poison Look-Alikes: Tips to Prevent Accidental Poisoning at All Ages
- Radon Mitigation Dos and Don'ts
- Healthy Homes: Dealing with Household Clutter
- Rethink Waste Series: Reduce
- Rethink Waste Series: Recycle
- Drinking Water: Interpretation and Recommendations
- Urban Entomology Pest Series: The Tawny Crazy Ant, Nylanderia fulva, in Georgia
- Household Water Quality Series: Iron and Manganese
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Lead paint could be lurking on your latest thrift-store find
- Iron bacteria are not dangerous, but control can be extremely difficult
- Add "testing for radon" to the homebuying checklist
- Fighting pollen? Fight smarter with these pollen-busting tips from UGA Cooperative Extension
- Consider these tips when choosing a new washing machine
- Make homemade fruit roll-up snacks using a food dehydrator, UGA Extension recipe
- From programmable thermostats to HVAC checkups, UGA Extension offers energy-saving tips
- Natural spring water may taste great, but that doesn't make it safe to drink.
- UGA nutrition expert applauds latest federal dietary guidelines
- UGA Radon Education Program promotes testing as part of National Radon Action Month
- FCS Publications: Housing and Environment
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to housing.
- Georgia Initiative for Community Housing
Offers communities in Georgia a three-year program of collaboration and technical assistance in addressing their housing and neighborhood revitalization needs.
- Home Disaster Preparedness Plan
Offers tips to prepare for home emergencies.
- Impact Statements: Housing
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to housing.
- UGA GreenWay
Information on ways you and your neighborhood can live greener by green cleaning, reducing waste, conserving resources, and investing green.
- Energy Star
Offers information about energy efficiency and conservation.
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
Provides resources for community and economic development programs in Georgia.
- Georgia Environmental Finance Authority
Provides assistance for programs related to water, wastewater, solid waste, recycling, land conservation, energy efficiency and fuel storage tanks for local governments, other state agencies and non-profit organizations.
- Healthy Homes Partnership
Helps families learn about the risks they face at home and how to reduce them. Parents and others can find out more about the dangers of things like lead-based paint, pesticides, and drinking water.â€‹
- National Center for Healthy Housing
NCHH conducts research to find scientifically valid and practical strategies for making homes safe and healthy.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Website for federal agency dedicated to protecting human health and the environment.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Essentials for Healthy Homes Practitioners Course
This two-day course helps health and home inspectors understand the connection between health and housing and learn how to take a holistic approach to identify and resolve problems that threaten the health and well-being of residents.
- Georgia Radon Education Program
Educates Georgians on how to protect themselves from the risk of developing lung cancer caused by the unwelcome entry of radon gas in their homes.