Housing & Home Environment
Extension's goal is for individuals of all ages to have access to affordable, safe, and decent housing.
We provide users with information about water and energy conservation, reducing waste, buying or renting a home, and improving the indoor environment by reducing pollutants like mold, radon, lead, and volatile organic compounds. These resources allow families and individuals to create healthy, safe, and sustainable homes and improve their quality of life.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Improving Household Wastewater Treatment
- On-Site Reuse of Ground Wood Waste from Georgia Residential Construction
- Be Aware of Your Indoor Air
- Home Emergency Preparedness Handbook
- Removing Mold in Your Home
- Preventing Mold in Your Home
- Housing: Your Top Priority
- Hydrogen Sulfide and Sulfate
- Removal of Hydrogen Sulfide and Sulfate
- Safety Begins at Home
- What's in your house?
- Childproofing Your Home: A Room-by-Room Safety Checklist
- Testing for Water Quality
- A Beginner's Guide to Septic Systems
- Home Water Quality and Treatment
- Ornamental Plantings on Septic Drainfields
- Management of Pest Insects In and Around the Home
- Protecting Your Well and Wellhead
- Coliform Bacteria in Your Water
- Understanding Your Water Bill
- Your Household Water Quality: Odors in Your Water
- Termite Control Services: Information for the Georgia Property Owner
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- UGA Extension provides tips on removing and preventing mold and mildew
- Ensure your home is safe with a radon testing kit from UGA Extension
- Take steps to keep mice and rats from coming indoors for the winter
- Leave room for “play time” with young children
- Pesticides can be lethal if used inappropriately; always follow pesticide labels
- Water the focus of 4-H camp held at Stripling Irrigation Research Park
- Termites are lazy, when they aren't eating wood, UGA researcher says
- Dump standing water and trim vegetation now to knock down summer mosquito populations
- UGA set to host cotton scout school
- UGA Extension teaches importance of car seat safety
- FCS Publications: Housing and Environment
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to housing.
- Georgia Initiative for Community Housing
Offers communities in Georgia a three-year program of collaboration and technical assistance in addressing their housing and neighborhood revitalization needs.
- Home Disaster Preparedness Plan
Offers tips to prepare for home emergencies.
- Impact Statements: Housing
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to housing.
- UGA GreenWay
Information on ways you and your neighborhood can live greener by green cleaning, reducing waste, conserving resources, and investing green.
- Energy Star
Offers information about energy efficiency and conservation.
- Georgia Department of Community Affairs
Provides resources for community and economic development programs in Georgia.
- Georgia Environmental Finance Authority
Provides assistance for programs related to water, wastewater, solid waste, recycling, land conservation, energy efficiency and fuel storage tanks for local governments, other state agencies and non-profit organizations.
- Healthy Homes Partnership
Helps families learn about the risks they face at home and how to reduce them. Parents and others can find out more about the dangers of things like lead-based paint, pesticides, and drinking water.â€‹
- National Center for Healthy Housing
NCHH conducts research to find scientifically valid and practical strategies for making homes safe and healthy.
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
HUD's mission is to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Website for federal agency dedicated to protecting human health and the environment.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Essentials for Healthy Homes Practitioners Course
This two-day course helps health and home inspectors understand the connection between health and housing and learn how to take a holistic approach to identify and resolve problems that threaten the health and well-being of residents.
- Georgia Radon Education Program
Educates Georgians on how to protect themselves from the risk of developing lung cancer caused by the unwelcome entry of radon gas in their homes.