UGA Extension provides resources for professionals, parents and caregivers on promoting the positive development and safety of school-age and adolescent youth.
A Parent's Guide to the 'Nitty-Gritty' About Head Lice (C 851)
This guide for parents explains what to do -- and what not to do -- when a child gets head lice.
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
Take note of cyber bullies
Once upon a time, it seemed like the school bully was best known for stealing lunch money and picking on other kids. Today, the news is full of stories about how the modern bully has moved from the lunchroom to the Internet. While the majority of schools now have policies in place about both bullying and technology use in the classroom, bullies who use their home computers may not have the same restrictions.
UGA Extension helps train teens to hit the road
University of Georgia Extension has created a program to address the fears of parents while preparing teenagers with the skills they need to drive safely. The Georgia Traffic Injury Prevention Instituteâ€™s Parents Reducing Injuries and Driver Error (P.R.I.D.E.) program has more than 200 instructors teaching classes for both parents and teenagers throughout the state.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- School gardens on the rise as teachers use them to teach STEM education
- Consistent schedule vital to children's health
- Cyber bullying on the rise
- Tablets can lead to creative learning opportunities if used correctly
- UGA Extension announces summer camps for military youths
- Make homemade fruit roll-up snacks using a food dehydrator, UGA Extension recipe
- New UGA Griffin Campus leader plans to further establish campus in community
- UGA has a $4.4 billion economic impact on Georgia
- Georgia 4-H'ers collect, recycle aluminum to benefit Ronald McDonald House Charities
- UGA receives $8.2 million grant to support families in Georgia child welfare system
- Georgia Teens Ride with Pride
A free, award-winning two-hour course designed to help parents and their teen drivers, ages 14-16, negotiate the process of learning to drive safely.
- Impact Statements: Adolescent Development
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to adolescent development.
- Youth & Adolescent Development
Family and Consumer Sciences' Extension information related to youth and adolescent development.
- Children, Youth, & Families Education & Research Network
Practical, research-based information about children and families from US universities.
- Georgia Youth Summit
A statewide event for teams of youth and adults which is sponsored by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs as part of the Georgia Rural Development Council's Youth Leadership Initiative.
- Georgia Family Connection Partnership
An organization sharing research and information about building strong families.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Helping Teens Develop Relationship Smarts
A research-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on activities to focus on skills and knowledge necessary for healthy dating relationships.