4-H Forestry Field Day/Forestry Judging
Forestry Field Day (FFD) is a competitive Judging Contest where 4-H'ers learn about one of Georgia's most valuable resources. Participants learn to identify trees, insects and diseases. They also participate in compass and pacing activities and learn how to complete sawtimber volume estimations. FFD provides an opportunity for youth to gain a better appreciation for our local forest resources and how they contribute to our economy and quality of life.
Forestry Judging is progressive and each practice builds upon the last. June is the month when we review and learn our trees, practice our measurement technique and create our study materials. Once we finish June practices, we're really just practicing things we've already learned. If you have friends who are interested in joining the team, please invite them to the first practice, so they don't miss any of the important stuff!
2017 Season Information and Schedule
Please review and sign the 2017 Forestry Judging Contract
We'll be practicing in the summer from 9 am-2 pm on the following days:
- Wednesday, June 7
- Wednesday, June 14
- Wednesday, June 21
Once school begins in August, we will practice on the following dates from 4:30- 6 pm:
- Wednesday, August 9
- Monday, August 21
- Wednesday, August 30
Please email email@example.com or call 770-443-7616 by Wednesday May 31 at 5 pm to let me know if you plan to participate.
Some reminders about practice:
- Bring a three ring binder for your manual.
- Bring any flashcards you have from last year's meetings.
- Wear tennis shoes.
- Bring your lunch.
- Bring water and sunscreen! (It's going to be HOT!)
- Be on time!
To sign up for reminders by text you can join our Remind group.
District Competition Date is set for September 5, at Camp Westminster in Conyers.
- An additional Senior team practice date will be set for September 13 (Early Release Day- 2:30-4pm) to help prepare for the State competition if we place at District.
- Seniors will also practice on September 27 after Rivers Alive from 11am-3:30 pm.
- State Competition (for Seniors only) will be on September 30 at Thompson Mills State Arboretum. We will leave from the Paulding County 4-H Office that morninng.
4-H Forestry Field Day Resources
Tree Identification References
- Georgia 4-H Forestry Field Day Practice Quizzes
- Tree Pictures - Duke University
- Arbor Day Tree Identification Guide - Eastern U.S.
Insect and Disease References
- Forest Health Guide for Georgia
- Insects and Diseases of Trees in the South
- National 4-H Forestry Disease and Insect Flash Cards
Flash Card Templates
- Junior/Senior Leaves (5th - 12th grade)
- Senior's Extra Leaves (9th - 12th grade)
- Insect Flash Cards Junior
- Insect Flash Cards Senior
- Disease Flash Cards Junior
- Disease Flash Cards Senior
For more information about Paulding County 4-H Youth Development Programs, call 770-443-7616.