4-H Project Achievement
Project Achievement allows 4-H’ers to research a topic, prepare a presentation on that topic, and then present their speech or demonstrate their abilities to perform in a competitive manner. This not only include a wide range of topics but also various performing arts areas and ability to demonstrate cooking skills.
- Project Achievement in the classroom environment starts at 5th grade for Paulding County. During these classroom clubs the 4-H’ers are encouraged to participate in a demonstration and then in district Cloverleaf Project Achievement (CPA) in late winter; the 6th grade 4-H'ers are also encouraged to continue participation in CPA. Rubric and subject list from PC 5th grade visits; from GA 4-H.
Cloverleaf DPA information for NW District contest in Rome on February 3, 2018
- For 4-H'ers in the 7th through 12th grades, Junior and Senior Project Achievement competition expands with the creation of a portfolio. Portfolios are like a resume of the work 4-H’ers have completed in their project area.
Junior Project Achievement (grades7-8):
Paulding County Information; from Georgia 4-H
Senior Project Achievement (grades 9-12):
Please contact the Paulding County Office for sign-up and DPA options, more information; from Georgia 4-H
The dates of our portfolio workshops at the Extension Office in 2017 are:
- August 17: DPA 101 Portfolio Introduction, 7-12graders who are new DPA
- August 31: DPA Kick-off for all returning 7-12 graders (4:30-6pm)
- September 14: Portfolio Workshop 1 (4:30-6pm)
- October 10: Portfolio Workshop 2 (4:30-6pm)
- October 20-21: Portfolio Lock-in with Cobb & Gwinnett Counties (also attend one previous workshop/invited)
- November 21: Portfolio Workshop 3 (9am-12pm)
- December 14: Portfolio Workshop 4 (4:30-6pm)
- December 21: Final Portfolio Review, make appointment
- January 2, 2018: at 5pm: Final Portfolio due at the Paulding County Extension office
The Juniors and Senior 4-H'ers from Paulding County compete in Northwest District Project Achievement (DPA) March 2-4, 2018.
When Senior 4-H’ers place first at DPA (based on portfolio and presentation), they are invited to State Congress where they can attempt “Mastery” in their project area. This is based on portfolio, demonstration and an interview.
- DPA is also a gateway to leadership and community service opportunities which can bring recognition in 4-H. In order to run for both Junior and Senior 4-H District Boards, a 4-H'er must participate in DPA as the elections are part of the weekend events. These positions help in getting experience in order to run for State Board while in high school. There is also recognition with various community service accomplishments at DPA which help support Georgia 4-H's Leadership in Action program. Georgia 4-H has a robust following in our state and there are many scholarship opportunities that are offered for various 4-H accomplishments!
Note: Many of the 4-H programs mentioned above have no or nominal cost associated with them for Paulding County 4-H'ers as they are part of the Georgia 4-H base programming that are an integral part of county 4-H programs. So don't miss the opportunity to the Make the Better Best!
Here are a few resources about Project Achievement:
- Georgia 4-H Project Achievement - this has links to the project areas for the different 4-H levels
- YouTube Video
- How to find digital photos of various Paulding County 4-H activities for your portfolio:
- For tracking activities
Click on the first image below to click through the gallery, note there is general information under each about the event.