Want To Become a 4-H Volunteer?
Join our team and make a difference in the life of a child!
- Adult volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
- All Volunteers must complete a Volunteer Agreement
- Volunteers working with youth must complete a Volunteer Screening Application, supply 3 non-related references, pass a background check, and complete the online training, Georgia 4-H: Working with Youth...Managing Risk.
- Must have two personal references turned in. They must be two of the personal references you listed on your volunteer screening application.
- Volunteer drivers must pass a Motor Vehicle screening (included in volunteer application).
Categories of volunteers (See full description in the UGA Extension Volunteer Policy Overview):
- General Volunteer
- Screened Volunteer
- Screened Volunteer Working with Youth
Contact our 4-H office for more information.
Coaching Requirement for Competition:
In all cases, coaches (both paid staff and volunteer) are required to complete training in order for the county to field a team for competition. Each counties' Cotton Boll and Consumer Judging, Forestry Field Day, Poultry Judging, and Wildlife Judging is required to be coached by a certified coach. Coaches may enlist additional leaders to assist with instruction and may coach more than one county team. 4-H Coach's Certification is obtained by completing the Georgia 4-H Certified Judging Coach's training for the specific event.
Each S.A.F.E. team in each discipline (archery, pistol, B.B, rifle, and shotgun) is required to be coached by a certified paid staff or volunteer coach. If a meeting, practice or S.A.F.E. event is held a certified coach in that discipline is required to be in attendance along with screened volunteers for assistance. Certification is obtained by completing the Georgia 4-H Certified S.A.F.E. Coach's Training in that discipline. Visit our Shooting Sports page to see S.A.F.E. coaching requirements and trainings.