Family & Consumer Sciences
Eating Right, Spending Smart, and Raising Kids...Living Well!
Family & Consumer Sciences (FACS) Extension Agents offer non-biased, research-based solutions and cutting edge knowledge on many topics, including:
- Food, Nutrition, and Health
- Food Safety
- Healthy, Safe, and Affordable Housing Environment
- Economic Well-Being for Individuals and Families
- Positive Development for Individuals, Families, and Communities
FACS agents also partner with employers and other agencies to enhance economic development by education our present and future work force. Examples include:
- Health education and chronic disease prevention programs;
- Required employee training such as food safety for restaurant workers and child development training for child care providers;
- Life skills education to reduce turnover and increase productivity, such as managing finances and balancing work/family responsibilities.
ServSafe Manager Certification Training
ServSafe is a nationally recognized program developed by the Educational Foundation of The National Restaurant Association for food service workers in restaurant, school, hospital and other food service settings. Upon completion of this two day course, participants will received a certificate that is widely recognized and accepted by the majority of local and state jurisdictions that require food service safety training. The next ServSafe class will be offered July 17 and 18.
The fee for this ServSafe course is $140 which includes 16 hours of instruction, the course book, exam booklet, and administration of the test. Upon request the text book is available in select languages other than English. For additional information you may contact Jackie Dallas by email or by telephone at (706) 613-3640.
Walk Georgia is a free Web-based fitness program designed to encourage activity and exercise through accountability and community! The web site allows users to track their activities and record fitness progress. Users can compare their activities to individuals in their county, across the state, and even create custom group challenges. Walk Georgia provides resources on health and the tools and information to get physically active. Create an account and start tracking your progress to a healthier you. You may contact our staff for additional information about Walk Georgia.
Newsletters, Publications and Additional Resources
- Diabetes Life Lines Newsletter
- More diabetes information
- Seniors Taking Charge - a wellness newsletter for seniors
- My Plate
- UGA FACS Extension Web Page
error! Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object