Agriculture & Natural Resources
Camden County Extension offers a variety of services including:
- Testing services for soil, water and plant samples
- Invasive species management initiatives
- Annual River Cleanups
- Adopt-A-Stream monitoring and certification
- Georgia Master Naturalist Course
- Using Pesticides Safely
- Food & Safety Recall Links
- Emergency Preparedness & Disaster Recovery
- Citrus Greening - Jessica Warren, ANR Agent in Camden County discusses the citrus disease as it is now showing up in Georgia...
- Pollinator Workshop January 30, 2018 - Trees for Bees
Is it a Water Moccasin?? The Georgia Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Division has provided some useful tips on how to identify a water moccasin. There are 45 native snake species in Georgia and only 6 of those are venomous. Here is a great article about one of our venomous snakes, the water moccasin, and...
NATIONAL PESTICIDE SAFETY EDUCATION MONTH LAUNCHED TO PROMOTE SAFE PESTICIDE USE
Hundreds of people get sick each year from inappropriate pesticide use, but those who don’t deal with pesticides daily may not think about it very often. Of the 11 states participating in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) pesticide safety program, workers reported 853 serious injuries from pesticides in 2011, according to the CDC.
See the full story:
"Protecting Backyard Flocks from Avian Influenza"
An H7 strain of avian influenza has been confirmed in a wild bird in McIntosh County. Please exercise biosecurity practices with backyard flocks. If you have birds exhibiting the following symptoms please call the Georgia Department of Agriculture’s avian flu hotline at 1-855-491-1432.
• Sudden increase in bird mortality
• Nasal discharge
• Coughing, sneezing
• Watery or green diarrhea
• Swelling around the eyes, neck and head
• Purple discoloration of wattles, combs and legs
• Incoordination or paralysis
• Twisting of the head/neck down under the body in turkeys
• Sudden, severe drop in feed and water consumption
• Sudden, severe drop in egg production
Pollinator Workshop - January 30, 2019
Jan 30, 2019 Pollinator Workshop Join us for a half day workshop to learn about pollinators and how to create a sustainable, year-round habitat for them. Participants will make and take with them a bee hotel, as well as a flash drive of resources. When: January 30, 2019, 9am-12pm Where: Camden County Extension Office 1409 Georgia Ave, Woodbine Cost: $10/person To register call the Extension office at 912-576-3219. This class is limited to 20 participants. Woodbine, GA
Camden County UGA Extension 4th Annual Woodbine River Clean-up
Woodbine, GA – Many thanks to all those who helped on October 14th to clean-up downtown Woodbine during a Rivers Alive river clean-up.
Twenty-one volunteers assisted with the clean-up effort of over 530 pounds of trash. Removing debris from our waterways and nearby areas not only improves the aesthetics and safety of our local natural areas, but also improves the health of our local estuaries and marine ecosystem.
The Extension office hosts two river cleanup events each fall. For more information please call 912-576-3219 or visit our Facebook page @CamdenCountyGeorgiaCooperativeExtension.