Agriculture & Natural Resources
Below are some of UGA Extension's most broadly useful resources for those involved in agriculture on the farm, in schools, and around the home.
Banks County Cattlemen's Association Meetings
Meetings are held on the first Thursday of each month at the High School Ag Barn at 7:00 pm. Georgia Cattlemen's Association website
Testing & Sampling Procedures
Whether you'd like to increase your crop yield, grow healthier roses, test the quality of your drinking water, or make sure your creek isn't polluted, we can help. To submit samples for testing contact the Banks County Cooperative Extension Office (706) 677-6230.
For more information, visit our Testing Services web page.
AESL - Agriculture and Environmental Services Laboratories (AESL) at the University of Georgia offer testing for soil analysis, plant tissue analysis, water quality, pesticides and hazardous waste, feeds and forages and other special analyses.
Pesticide Safety, Training & Certification Information
Come by the Extension Office in Homer for help in obtaining your Private Pesticide License.
Have a pesticide question? Bug sprays, weed killers, disinfectants & more information can be found a the National Pesticide Telecommunications Network, where you will find pesticide information including recognition and management of pesticide poisoning. Call toll-free: 1 (800) 858-7878
- Pesticide Storage & Mixing Facilities
- Need info on training, recertification and pesticide credit hours and programs follow this link: Pesticide Safety, Training, & Certification.
Who needs to be certified as a private applicator? Anyone "who uses or supervises the use of any pesticide which is classified for restricted use." An applicator must be 18 years of age or older to be certified. The pesticide certification program is carried out jointly by Cooperative Extension and the Georgia Department of Agriculture (GDA). Your local Extension Agent is responsible for providing training and the GDA is the regulatory authority for licensing and enforcement.
Home Gardening Information
- UGA Center for Urban Agriculture
- UGA Spring Garden Packet 2013
- Horticulture Publications - Find publications on the following popular topics:
- Fruits & Nuts
- Landscape Design
- Weed Wizard Series
- Conversion Tables, Formulas and Suggested Guidelines for Horticultural Use
Increasing demand for food grown under organic certification guidelines has created opportunities for some Georgia farmers.
- Commercial Organic Vegetable Production
- Georgia Organics
- National Organic Program (USDA)
- Organic Certification Program (Georgia Crop Improvement Association)
- Organic Vidalia Onion Production
- Sustainable Agriculture: Organic Production
- UGA Certificate Program in Organic Agriculture
To learn more about Georgia Commodities, visit the Georgia Agricultural Resources web page.
Something buggin' you? We provide identification, photos and a diagnostic lab to help trouble shoot your insect, disease, weed and other problems.
- Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health
- Fruit Pest Management & Culture
- Georgia Pest Management Handbook
- Insect Identification & Management
- Landscape Pest Management
- Urban Pest Management
- Stinging and Biting Pests of People
Master Gardener Information
For more information (you will be directed to a new page)
- Extension's Farm & Financial Management Publications
- Farmers & Consumers Market Bulletin
- Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Georgia Forages
- Georgia Pest Management Handbook
- Georgia Private Pesticide License Information
- Georgia Soil and Water Conservation
- Georgia Turfgrass
- Georgia Weather
- UGA Beef Programs
- United States Department of Agriculture