There are as many different ideas about favorite crops, plants, and flowers as there are farmers and gardeners, but everyone can agree on at least one thing: weeds are no fun! Whether they're crowding out your perennials or getting in the way of healthy forage, weeds present an ongoing challenge for anyone who wants to grow anything.
This section provides advice on controlling and preventing common weeds like crabgrass, pigweed, henbit, and chickweed to help commercial farmers and home gardeners have the most trouble-free growing seasons possible.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- UGA Weed Control Programs for Broccoli, Cabbage, and Cauliflower 2016
- UGA Weed Control Programs for Watermelon in 2016
- UGA Programs for Controlling Glyphosate-Resistant Palmer Amaranth in 2016 Cotton
- Annual Ryegrass Control in Georgia Hayfields
- Annual Bluegrass Control Programs for Georgia Lawns
- Community and School Gardens Series: Weed Control
- Crabgrass Control in Georgia Hayfields
- Weed Wizard Series: Controlling Poison Ivy in the Landscape
- Weed Control in Home Lawns
- Weed Wizard Series: Weed Control in Iris
- Weed Wizard Series: Controlling Greenbrier
- Weeds of Southern Turfgrasses
- Weed Wizard Series: Controlling Florida Betony in the Landscape
- Annual Bluegrass Control in Residential Turfgrass
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- UGA's Culpepper to receive prestigious award
- UGA's fifth annual Organic Twilight Tour set for July 14 in Watkinsville
- UGA research highlights Sunbelt Field Day
- Palmer amaranth management cutting into Georgia cotton farmers' profits
- Inaugural Academy of Crop Production to be held in Athens, Georgia
- Provost's visit to Tifton highlights links between Cooperative Extension, teaching and research
- Hoe and mulch to control weeds in home vegetable gardens
- Possibility of herbicide-resistant sicklepod a potential concern for Georgia peanut farmers
- UGA peanut agronomist fears Georgia's peanut crop could be vulnerable to increased disease pressure next year
- UGA scientists using $5 million grant to combat invasive weed Johnsongrass
- Control of Common Winter Weeds
Identifies and describes weeds active in lawns in the winter.
- Control Winter Weeds in October!
Information about preventing winter weeds before they emerge.
- Forrest Weed Control
Weed control recommendations for forests.
- Invasive and Exotic Plants
Lists of noxious weeds in North America.
- Weeds for Pasture and Hay?
Discusses management and possible value of weeds as forage for livestock.
- Weeds Gone Wild
Provides lists and descriptions of invasive plants, as well as management suggestions and contact information.