As with the rest of the US, interest in organic agriculture in Georgia is growing. As of 2008, the USDA reports that there were 67 certified organic farming operations in Georgia with a total of 4,341 acres in production. Organic agriculture relies on "ecosystem management" to enrich the soil, manage pests and disease, and produce a healthy product, rather than turning to synthetic fertilizers and pesticides that may pollute the environment and prove to be unsustainable.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Simulating Crop Rotations in the Coastal Plain with the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation 2
- Compost Utilization for Erosion Control
- Organic Vidalia Onion Production
- Managing Organic Refuse: Options for Green Industry Professionals
- Food Waste Composting: Institutional and Industrial Application
- Georgia Pest Management Handbook—Homeowner Edition
- Composting and Mulching
- 2015 Southeast Regional Organic Blueberry Pest Management Guide
- Organic Cover Crop Seed Production in Georgia
- How to Convert an Inorganic Fertilizer Recommendation to an Organic One
- Composting: Recycling Landscape Trimmings
- Growing Vegetables Organically
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Weekend organic farming workshop features research-based resources for new farmers
- UGA horticulturist among workshop presenters at annual Georgia Organics conference
- Save time and build soil composition by mulching fallen leaves with mower
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- Grant promises blueberry farmers more weapons in fight against spotted wing drosophila
- Female farmers flock to UGA Extension workshops this fall
- Healthy Soil, Healthy Community Initiative to provide compost workshops in metro Atlanta
- UGA researchers breeding more profitable seed for organic farmers
- Build a compost bin to reduce waste, make plant food
- Cover crops, cool season crops combine for high yields in organic fields
- Impact Statements: Organic Agriculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to organic agriculture.
- All About Organic Foods Factsheet
Explains how to identify organic food at the grocery and how producers earn this designation.
- Organic Gardening
Presentation slides give a comprehensive and moderately detailed summary of growing plants organically.
- Organic Production
Briefly explains how organic production fits into sustainable agriculture and provides a few links.
- Organic Soil Nutrient Management
Describes in detail the characteristics of quality soil.
- Georgia Organics
Organization promotes sustainable and community-based agriculture with resources for farmers and consumers, education for schoolchildren and home growers, news reports and annual conference.
- USDA National Organic Program
Information for producers and consumers on the federal government's standards program for organic agricultural products.