Georgia was the first colony to produce cotton commercially, first planting it near Savannah in 1734.
In 1793 school teacher Eli Whitney invented and patented the cotton gin. The first major textile mill was built in 1811 near Washington, GA. Cotton was an ingredient in the first light bulb, the telegraph, the Wright brothers' plane and the first automobile tires.
Georgia ranks third nationally in cotton production and acres planted. The 2009 crop covered 1 million acres and yielded 1.82 million bales. The 1995 Georgia crop, at 1.97 million bales, was the largest since 1918.
Cotton-related professions provide 53,000 jobs in the state of Georgia. Cotton's overall impact exceeds $3 billion.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- 2010 UGA Uniform Cotton Variety Performance Evaluation Program
- 2010 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Midville Location
- 2011 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Midville Location
- 2010 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Tifton Location
- 2011 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Tifton Location
- Feeding Drought-Damaged Cotton and Peanut Crops to Beef Cattle
- 2012 Georgia Cotton Research and Extension Report
- GEORGIA FARM*A*SYST: Cotton IPM
- UGA Programs for Controlling Palmer Amaranth in 2013 Cotton
- University of Georgia Herbicide Programs for Tropical Spiderwort (Benghal Dayflower) Control in 2013 Cotton
- 2012 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- How to Set Up a Post-Emergence Directed and Shielded Herbicide Sprayer for Cotton
- Cotton Production and the Boll Weevil in Georgia: History, Cost of Control, and Benefits of Eradication
- Tropic Croton Identification and Control in Cotton and Peanut
- Feeding Whole Cottonseed to Dairy Cows and Replacements
- 2011 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 1999 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2011 UGA Uniform Cotton Variety Performance Evaluation Program
- 2001 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2000 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2010 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- Nitrogen essential to cotton, corn production
- Cotton crop delayed by weather
- Ag exports highlight inaugural International Agribusiness Conference
- Georgia crop diseases linked to abundant rainfall, cooler temperatures
- State tour immerses President Morehead into world of agriculture
- UAVs could soon be helpful tool for farmers
- Midville field day educates and informs farmers
- Soil moisture sensors help farmers optimize water use
- Farmers trudge through soggy fields to tackle diseases
- Increased rainfall impacting cotton crops
Information about Georgia cotton including newsletters, breaking news, and relevant links.
- Cotton in Georgia
A wiki site covering various aspects of cotton in Georgia, including pest updates, insects, diseases, weeds, summaries of losses from insect damage, control costs, and related links.
- Impact Statements: Cotton
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to cotton.
- Profiles of the Georgia Cotton Industry
Graphics of Georgia cotton including production by county, average cotton yields, acres planted, and gin locations.
- Georgia Cotton Commission
GCC site featuring annual meeting information, guest speaker profiles, state statistics, cotton lint and seed facts, educational resources, and related links.