Georgia was the first colony to produce cotton commercially, first planting it near Savannah in 1734.
In 1793 school teacher Eli Whitney invented and patented the cotton gin. The first major textile mill was built in 1811 near Washington, GA. Cotton was an ingredient in the first light bulb, the telegraph, the Wright brothers' plane and the first automobile tires.
Georgia ranks third nationally in cotton production and acres planted. The 2009 crop covered 1 million acres and yielded 1.82 million bales. The 1995 Georgia crop, at 1.97 million bales, was the largest since 1918.
Cotton-related professions provide 53,000 jobs in the state of Georgia. Cotton's overall impact exceeds $3 billion.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- 2012 UGA Uniform Cotton Variety Performance Evaluation Program
- 2013 UGA Uniform Cotton Variety Performance Evaluation Program
- 2001 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 1999 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2000 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2013 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2010 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- 2010 UGA Uniform Cotton Variety Performance Evaluation Program
- 2010 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Midville Location
- 2011 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Midville Location
- 2010 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Tifton Location
- 2011 UGA Cotton Defoliant Evaluation Program - Tifton Location
- Feeding Drought-Damaged Cotton and Peanut Crops to Beef Cattle
- 2012 Georgia Cotton Research and Extension Report
- Cotton IPM
- University of Georgia Herbicide Programs for Tropical Spiderwort (Benghal Dayflower) Control in 2013 Cotton
- UGA Programs for Controlling Palmer Amaranth in 2013 Cotton
- 2012 Peanut, Cotton and Tobacco Performance Tests
- How to Set Up a Post-Emergence Directed and Shielded Herbicide Sprayer for Cotton
- Cotton Production and the Boll Weevil in Georgia: History, Cost of Control, and Benefits of Eradication
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Summer drought has Georgia farmers feeling the heat
- Bleak market awaits corn farmers
- Cotton farmers have plethora of options in which to irrigate
- Feral hogs eating away at farmers' land and profits
- UGA breeder works to increase cotton quality, breed nematode resistance
- UGA set to host cotton scout school
- UGA expert supports no-till farm's water-saving qualities
- Excessive rainfall postpones cotton planting around state
- UGA, IBM work with farmers on water conservation project
- Cotton irrigation app helps farmers manage water usage
Information about Georgia cotton including newsletters, breaking news, and relevant links.
- Cotton in Georgia
A wiki site covering various aspects of cotton in Georgia, including pest updates, insects, diseases, weeds, summaries of losses from insect damage, control costs, and related links.
- Impact Statements: Cotton
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to cotton.
- Profiles of the Georgia Cotton Industry
Graphics of Georgia cotton including production by county, average cotton yields, acres planted, and gin locations.
- Georgia Cotton Commission
GCC site featuring annual meeting information, guest speaker profiles, state statistics, cotton lint and seed facts, educational resources, and related links.