Food, Farm, & Ornamentals Businesses
Farmers, food producers, nursery workers, and professional landscapers need to be aware of the regulations that apply to their businesses and the resources available to help them succeed. Topics in this section include:
- Food & Farm Businesses
Resources for commercial agricultural producers and food processors and producers.
- Ornamental Horticulture
Information for landscapers, lawn-care professionals and greenhouse and nursery employees.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Land Application of Pulp Mill Lime Mud
- Environmental Policy Statements: Explaining What You Do, How You Do It, and Where You Want To Go
- Metal Concentration Standards for Land Application of Biosolids and Other By-Products in Georgia
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- UGA's International Agriculture Day speaker to discuss persistent malnutrition
- Are Georgia counties suffering tax income decline?
- UGA Extension saving Georgia farmers time, money with mobile meeting system
- AgrAbility program helps Georgia farmer in need
- Farm bill educational meetings to be held across Georgia
- Asian, American scientists work together for safer food supply
- Georgia Peanut Tour a major attraction for international farmers
- Georgia's under the spotlight at this year's Sunbelt Expo
- UGA dairy cattle specialist researching sugar beets as alternative feed source
- UGA Tifton Campus Conference Center to host annual Georgia Exports Conference
- Food Product Innovation & Commercialization
Department of Food Science and Technology affiliate offers multiple services, including product development, packaging engineering, storage assessment, consumer testing, market planning, business development and market access to food businesses.
- Food Science Extension Outreach program
Specializes in food safety and provides extensive resources on relevant laws and regulations, a detailed guide to starting a new food business and a detailed calendar of frequent workshops.
- Starting a New Food Business
Extension Food Science provides services like process approval, product classification and nutritional facts panel for your food product; offers training seminars covering food industry regulations, business planning, and process improvement; and documents important regulations from the Georgia Department of Agriculture and Food and Drug Administration.
- Georgia Department of Agriculture
Gives a detailed overview of the organization's structure including its separate divisions dedicated to animal industry, plant industry, marketing, fuel & measures, and consumer protection. Distributes the biweekly Farmers and Consumers Market Bulletin comprising timely news, advertisements, and cooking recipes. Includes a kids' page with links to activity resources and educational websites.
- Obtaining a UPC Bar Code
Homepage of the global non-profit GS1 describes the organization's supply-chain standards for barcodes (including a guide to obtaining one) business messaging, data synchronization and RFID tracking. Also provides news, a calendar of trainings, a catalog of prominent businesses using GS1 standards, and frequently asked questions.
- USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service
Provides educational materials in text and video formats covering food preparation in commercial and home environments, emergency and illness responses, and food labeling. Reports news, including recalls. Includes a calendar of meetings and events.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Better Process Control School
This pamphlet summarizes the course satisfying FDA and USDA requirements to certify supervisors of the canning of low-acid or acidified foods. The pamphlet describes the course content, exams, daily schedule, registration, cost, and transportation. It includes a registration form.
- Food Safety & Processing Calendar for 2011
This calendar of food safety and food processing workshops includes links to informational brochures and registrations for the workshops as well as the sponsored lodgings.
- HACCP for Nut Processors
This pamphlet summarizes a course on food safety and HACCP programs for nut processors. The pamphlet describes the course content, daily schedule, registration, cost, lodging and transportation. It includes a registration form.
- In-Plant Control of Microbial Contamination for the Food Industry
This pamphlet summarizes a course on food safety and HACCP programs. The pamphlet describes the course content, daily schedule, registration, cost, lodging and transportation. It includes a registration form.