In 1995, the Georgia General Assembly declared Georgia the official Poultry Capital of the World, and Governor Zell Miller signed the legislation on April 8, 1995.
Largest Agricultural Commodity
Broilers are Georgia's largest single agricultural commodity, and poultry is the largest agricultural segment; more than 45 percent of the state's agriculture and agribusiness economy. Additional revenue comes from numerous poultry industry meetings, seminars and conventions.
For the twenty-fifth consecutive year, Georgia has been the leader in broiler production with 1.41 billion birds and 7.47 billion pounds produced in 2008. If Georgia were a country, it would be the sixth largest in broiler production.
While per-capita chicken consumption has doubled since 1978, Georgia's production has tripled. In 2007 there were 5,490 poultry farms in the state.
Key factors that make chicken America's favorite food are its nutritional and health advantages, price and economic value, expanding availability and endless variety of new, good-tasting and convenient ways to prepare chicken products.
Of all meats, chicken provides the most nutrients with the least number of calories. Removing the skin reduces the already low fat content by almost half. A 3-ounce serving of skinless roasted chicken breast contains only 116 calories, yet provides more than half the recommended daily protein requirement.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Poultry Litter Application on Pastures and Hayfields
- Pen-size Optimization Workbook of Experimental Research Design (POWER for Poultry)
- A Review of Georgia's Animal Feeding Operation Regulations
- Troubleshooting Salmonella in Poultry Processing Plants: Case Studies
- Water Reuse in Poultry Processing: Now addressed in the HACCP program
- Preventing Salmonella Colonization of Chickens: Electrostatic Application of Electrolyzed Oxidative Acidic Water
- Guide for Prospective Contract Broiler Producers
- Guidelines for Prospective Contract Hatching Egg Producers
- Basic Introduction to Broiler Housing Environmental Control
- Mortality Composting Basics for Poultry Producers
- GEORGIA FARM*A*SYST: Composting Poultry Mortalities
- Composting 101: How to Effectively Operate a Poultry Mortality Compost Bin
- Reference Guide for Solving Poultry Processing Problems
- Importance of Grit Removal from Commercial Shell Egg Processing Wastewater
- Poultry Drinking Water Primer
- Environmental Factors to Control when Brooding Chicks
- Land Application of Livestock and Poultry Manure
- Small Farm Nutrient Management Primer: For Un-permitted Animal Feeding Operations
- Nuisance Myths and Poultry Farming
- Poultry Mortality Composting Management Guide
- Management Guide for the Backyard Flock
- Nutrition for the Backyard Flock
- Global Warming: How Does It Relate to Poultry?
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- Bulldog 100 names several UGA agriculture graduates to 2013 list
- UGA study finds essential-oil blend reduces salmonella contamination
- Midwest drought costs Georgia poultry producers big bucks
- Building a backyard flock takes some thought
- Knox embraces new role as agricultural climatologist
- Midwestern drought will impact Georgia's poultry producers, corn farmers
- UGA faculty training a new generation of international livestock matchmakers
- Georgia Guardsmen return to UGA to present base flag
- UGA Extension helps poultry farmers lower their power bills
- Flock Talk: Bird Vocalization Research Could Improve Poultry Production, Lower Costs
- Department of Poultry Science's Extension and Outreach Programs
Provides educational and service-related programs for commercial poultry producers, allied industry representatives, county Extension personnel, and small flock producers to enhance production and economic efficiencies while maintaining the state's competitive position in poultry production.
- Depopulating Small Poultry Flocks
An overview of how a UGA poultry scientist developed a mobile modified atmosphere killing (MAK) chamber which could provide a rapid response to disease outbreaks in predetermined regions.
- Georgia's Nutrient Management Programs for Poultry Producers
Comprehensive information on the development and implementation of nutrient management plans (NMPs) for poultry producers in Georgia.
- Impact Statements: Poultry
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to poultry.
- Low-Dose Irradiation of Processed Poultry
Overview of a UGA research project involving microbiology and sensory science and its implications for irradiation as a cost-effective technology suitable for inactivating Listeria monocytogenes in large scale processing of ready-to-eat poultry meat.
- Natural Sanitizer Helps Poultry Processing
An overview of UGA poultry scientists' studies involving inoculating a five-strain cocktail of Listeria monocytogenes onto the surface of fully cooked chicken products.
- Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center
College of Veterinary Research unit involved with teaching, research, and service in poultry medicine.
- Poultry Ventilation Workshops
An overview of UGA poultry scientists' and biological and agricultural engineers' two annual workshops for new and experienced broiler flock supervisors.
- Stopping Salmonella on Poultry Farms
An overview of a UGA study to assess the prevalence of Salmonella as well as antimicrobial resistance and dissemination of this organism in USDA-certified organic versus conventional broiler chicken farms within one poultry company in North Carolina.
- Georgia Poultry Laboratory Network
Dedicated to supporting the poultry industry and other bird owners by providing health monitoring and veterinary diagnostic services specific to poultry.
- History of Poultry in Georgia
A summary of the history of Georgia's poultry industry from its inception to present day.