In 1995, the Georgia General Assembly declared Georgia the official Poultry Capital of the World, and Governor Zell Miller signed the legislation on April 8, 1995.
Largest Agricultural Commodity
Broilers are Georgia's largest single agricultural commodity, and poultry is the largest agricultural segment; more than 45 percent of the state's agriculture and agribusiness economy. Additional revenue comes from numerous poultry industry meetings, seminars and conventions.
For the twenty-fifth consecutive year, Georgia has been the leader in broiler production with 1.41 billion birds and 7.47 billion pounds produced in 2008. If Georgia were a country, it would be the sixth largest in broiler production.
While per-capita chicken consumption has doubled since 1978, Georgia's production has tripled. In 2007 there were 5,490 poultry farms in the state.
Key factors that make chicken America's favorite food are its nutritional and health advantages, price and economic value, expanding availability and endless variety of new, good-tasting and convenient ways to prepare chicken products.
Of all meats, chicken provides the most nutrients with the least number of calories. Removing the skin reduces the already low fat content by almost half. A 3-ounce serving of skinless roasted chicken breast contains only 116 calories, yet provides more than half the recommended daily protein requirement.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Maximizing Poultry Manure Use through Nutrient Management Planning
- CNMP Development Checklist for Dry Litter Poultry CAFOs
- Feeding Issues for Broiler Breeder Feather Cover
- Nutritional Response Models: A Workbook to Fit Data From Nutritional Experiments to Several Models
- Poultry Mortality Composting Management Guide
- Best Management Practices for Storing and Applying Poultry Litter
- Considerations for County Planners: Components of Zoning Ordinances Relative to Poultry
- Facts for County Planners: Set-Backs for Poultry Houses
- Facts for County Planners: Zoning Issues and Poultry Production
- Calculating the Fertilizer Value of Broiler Litter
- Practical Use and Application of the Poultry Carbon Footprint Calculation Tool
- Poultry Drinking Water Primer
- Land Application of Livestock and Poultry Manure
- Poultry Litter Composting for Backyard Flocks
- Nutrition for the Backyard Flock
- Management Guide for the Backyard Flock
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Former UGA poultry scientist tapped by U.S. Department of State for outreach to South African farmers
- Festive food prep: new ways to cook a turkey this holiday season
- Avoid rookie mistakes when cooking the holiday turkey
- Solar panels help poultry farmers to conserve energy
- FeedMix poultry feed mixing app aims to help small farmers optimize flock health
- Before selling eggs from a backyard flock, you must first know how to candle them
- UGA Extension prepares poultry producers for worst case scenario of avian influenza outbreak
- UGA Extension experts among presenters at Georgia Urban Ag and Outdoor Expo
- UGA researchers track neural stem cells by coloring chicken eggs from the inside
- Robert Beckstead receives Russell Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Department of Poultry Science's Extension and Outreach Programs
Provides educational and service-related programs for commercial poultry producers, allied industry representatives, county Extension personnel, and small flock producers to enhance production and economic efficiencies while maintaining the state's competitive position in poultry production.
- Depopulating Small Poultry Flocks
An overview of how a UGA poultry scientist developed a mobile modified atmosphere killing (MAK) chamber which could provide a rapid response to disease outbreaks in predetermined regions.
- Georgia's Nutrient Management Programs for Poultry Producers
Comprehensive information on the development and implementation of nutrient management plans (NMPs) for poultry producers in Georgia.
- Impact Statements: Poultry
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to poultry.
- Low-Dose Irradiation of Processed Poultry
Overview of a UGA research project involving microbiology and sensory science and its implications for irradiation as a cost-effective technology suitable for inactivating Listeria monocytogenes in large scale processing of ready-to-eat poultry meat.
- Natural Sanitizer Helps Poultry Processing
An overview of UGA poultry scientists' studies involving inoculating a five-strain cocktail of Listeria monocytogenes onto the surface of fully cooked chicken products.
- Poultry Diagnostic and Research Center
College of Veterinary Research unit involved with teaching, research, and service in poultry medicine.
- Poultry Ventilation Workshops
An overview of UGA poultry scientists' and biological and agricultural engineers' two annual workshops for new and experienced broiler flock supervisors.
- Stopping Salmonella on Poultry Farms
An overview of a UGA study to assess the prevalence of Salmonella as well as antimicrobial resistance and dissemination of this organism in USDA-certified organic versus conventional broiler chicken farms within one poultry company in North Carolina.
- Georgia Poultry Laboratory Network
Dedicated to supporting the poultry industry and other bird owners by providing health monitoring and veterinary diagnostic services specific to poultry.
- History of Poultry in Georgia
A summary of the history of Georgia's poultry industry from its inception to present day.