The Georgia equine industry is a healthy and growing segment of our state's economy. There are more than 74,000 horses in Georgia today. The breeding and care of all these horses generates more than $750 million dollars for the Georgia economy every year.
While Georgia isn't one of the top ten horse producing states in terms of sheer numbers, the quality of Georgia's horses and horse facilities has recently received national renown. In the past five years many well established trainers have moved their operations into Georgia to take advantage of the temperate climate.
The most common breeds include Quarter Horses, Tennessee Walkers, Paints, American Saddles and Appaloosas.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Forage Systems for Horses in Georgia
- Understanding Gestation in the Mare and the Potential for Problems
- Managing the Pregnant Mare
- Common Terms Used in Animal Feeding and Nutrition
- A Review of Georgia's Animal Feeding Operation Regulations
- Evaluating Horse Conformation
- Equine Colic
- How to Feed a Horse: Understanding the Basic Principles of Horse Nutrition
- Fences for Horses
- Understanding Reproductive Events in the Mare for Successful Breeding Programs
- Bits 101
- Caring for the Older Horse: Common Problems and Solutions
- Feeding Strategies for Peak Performance in Horses
- Basic Nutritional Guidelines for Equine Management
- Evaluating Common Equine Performance Classes
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- GrassMasters course aims to improve forage production across northeast Georgia
- Southeastern Hay Contest sets 2016 deadline for Sept. 22
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- Animal & Dairy Science Horses Programs
Provides information pertaining to equine education and breeding and sales, as well as horse-related newsletter articles and contact information.
- Horses & Equine Producers Links
List of useful links for horse owners.
- Impact Statements: Horses
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to horses.
- Equine Commodity Commission
State advisory commission for equine-related issues.
- Georgia Equine Rescue League
GERL was founded out of concern for the growing number of starved, abused and neglected equine in Georgia. This site provides program information, upcoming events, newsletters, links, contact information, and membership information.
- Georgia Horse Council
Features news, membership information, upcoming events, Drill Team information, boarding information, and contacts.
- Georgia International Horse Park
Information about facilities, upcoming events, tours, and event planning.