Georgia's dairy industry became commercially successful in the 1930s. Today nine firms have a hand in the processing of milk and milk products in Georgia.
The dairy industry includes farmers, processors and manufacturers, who provide all the services needed to produce a variety of dairy products, and retailers who bring the products directly to consumers.
While the number of dairy farms in Georgia has declined over the years, the amount of milk per cow has greatly increased. Improved methods of selecting, breeding and feeding cows help ensure plentiful supplies of milk.
Improving Dairy Heifer Reproductive Management (C 914)
This brief management guideline provides producers with specific management tactics that may minimize the potential for short- and long-term problems. These tactics, categorized in order of early, advanced, and severe drought stages, are based on specific characteristics including water loss, forage growth, and rainfall.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Small Farm Nutrient Management Primer: For Un-permitted Animal Feeding Operations
- Adoption of Mastitis Control Technologies in the Southeast to Reduce Mastitis and Improve Milk Quality
- Speaking Spanish to Improve Dairy Cattle Reproduction
- Management Strategies to Reduce Heat Stress, Prevent Mastitis and Improve Milk Quality in Dairy Cows and Heifers
- Managing and Feeding Lactating Dairy Cows in Hot Weather
- How to Improve Your Percent Calf Crop
- Cutting Costs, Not Corners: Managing Cattle in Tough Times
- Drought-Related Cattle Feeding Problems
- Measuring the Dry Matter Content of Feeds
- Forage Use and Grazing Herd Management during a Drought
- Estrategias de Detección de Celo para Ganado Lechero
- Dairy Business Analysis Project: 2005 Summary for Florida and Georgia Dairies
- Record Keeping for Dairy Operations in Georgia
- Programas de Sincronización de Hatos
- Freeze Branding Cattle
- A Review of Georgia's Animal Feeding Operation Regulations
- Managing Mastitis in Dairy Heifers to Improve Overall Herd Health
- Improving Artificial Insemination Techniques
- Feeding Sprouted Wheat to Cattle
- Bull Buyer's Guide
- Vaccine Handling: Producer Tips for Chuteside Success
- Is Your Heifer Fit to Show? A Guide to Fitting and Showing Dairy Animals
- Dairy Judging Terminology: A Guide to Saying What She is and Not What She Isn't
To see other publications, go to the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Ag Forecast to provide Georgia farmers outlook for upcoming season
- UGA Teaching Dairy welcomes prize heifers; first Jerseys in 40 years
- UGA dairy scientist studying benefits of forage sorghum as supplemental feed for dairy cattle
- CAES graduate responsible for state seals in Sunbelt Expo Spotlight State Building
- Georgia's under the spotlight at this year's Sunbelt Expo
- UGA dairy cattle specialist researching sugar beets as alternative feed source
- UGA President Jere Morehead part of agricultural tour
- New UGA scientist to research heat stress on dairy cattle on Tifton Campus
- Farmer uses SARE grant to study winter cover crops
- Profits predicted to be low in 2014 for Georgia row crop farmers
- Approximate Feed Requirement for Dairy Cows on Dry Matter Basis
Table detailing approximate amounts of required feed on both a dry matter basis, as well as on as-fed bases.
- Dairy Cattle
Research-based information about dairy production and management from Animal and Dairy Science.
- Impact Statements: Dairy
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to dairy.
- American Dairy Science Association
Provides leadership in scientific and technical support to sustain and grow the global dairy industry through generation, dissemination, and exchange of information and services.
- Georgia Milk Producers Inc.
Features pertinent information for Georgia's dairy producers. Sections include MILC payment program information, weather conditions and forecasts, dairy policy updates, newsletters, exchange quotes, an events calendar, and a classifieds section.
- History of Dairy Industry in Georgia
Details the history of Georgia's dairy industry, from colonial times and the introduction of Jersey cows to Putnam County in 1876, to the industry's advancements and innovations of present day.