Georgia-raised cattle descend from stock in Europe, Africa and South America. Breeds including Angus, Charolais and Simmental are the cornerstone of the multimillion-dollar Georgia beef industry.
Economic Impact of Beef in Georgia
Georgia cattlemen own approximately 1.3 million head of cattle. 2008 cash receipts totaled more than $291 million, making cattle the state's sixth largest commodity.
Because cattle are raised in all 159 counties of Georgia, the beef industry has a large impact on the state's economy (estimated at more than $2 billion). In Georgia there are almost 18,000 producers of beef cattle.
Cattle are usually sold through county or area livestock markets. Each animal is typically sold individually on a per-pound basis. Most yearlings are shipped to the Midwest, where they are raised to finish weights.
A 1,000-pound market steer yields approximately 425 pounds of beef. Of the carcass, 99 percent is either used as meat or recovered as byproducts, both edible and inedible. Byproducts are used to make a wide variety of goods including pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and clothing.
Georgia Cattlemen's Association
With more than 6,000 members, the Georgia Cattlemen's Association, based in Macon, is the largest single-commodity producer group in Georgia and the sixth-largest state cattlemen's organization in the United States. The average Georgia Cattlemen's Association member owns 123 head of cattle and owns or leases an average of 447 acres of land.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Body Condition Scoring Beef Cows
- Poor Quality Forages Pose Life-Threatening Risk to Georgia Cow Herds
- Using Live Animal Carcass Ultrasound in Beef Cattle
- Estrous Synchronization for Beef Cattle
- Feeding Drought-Damaged Cotton and Peanut Crops to Beef Cattle
- Drought-Related Cattle Feeding Problems
- Measuring the Dry Matter Content of Feeds
- Cutting Costs, Not Corners: Managing Cattle in Tough Times
- How to Improve Your Percent Calf Crop
- Selecting a Beef Breed
- UGA Basic Balancer Instructions
- Understanding Beef Carcass Reports
- Forage Use and Grazing Herd Management during a Drought
- Implanting Beef Cattle
- Mineral Supplements for Beef Cattle
- Creep Feeding Beef Calves
- Freeze Branding Cattle
- A Review of Georgia's Animal Feeding Operation Regulations
- Improving Artificial Insemination Techniques
- Feeding Sprouted Wheat to Cattle
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and enviromental sciences.
- High cattle prices tempting for cattlemen to sell
- Profits predicted to be low in 2014 for Georgia row crop farmers
- Johnsongrass and frost can be bad combination for cattle
- UGA CAES educates, informs during Sunbelt Expo
- UGA faculty instrumental in helping organize livestock shows at Georgia National Fair
- Georgia producers will decide fate of proposed beef commission
- UGA College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences honors faculty and staff with 2013 D.W. Brooks Awards
- Electric fence is easy, economical way to confine animals
- State tour immerses President Morehead into world of agriculture
- UGA study finds electrified water kills foodborne pathogens on beef
- Impact Statements: Beef
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to beef.
- Southeast Cattle Advisor
Disseminates science-based marketing and production risk management information to Southeastern cattle producers, county agents, allied industry members, livestock market managers, ag lenders, veterinarians and consultants.
- UGA Beef Programs
Features information about the Georgia Beef Challenge, Georgia Bull Test Programs, and the Georgia HERD Programs.
- UGA Beef Team
Provides instructional, research and extension programming in the areas of food animal production, equine/companion animal management, and animal and medicinal biotechnology that addresses critical issues, such as cost of production, profitability, human and animal health, environmental stewardship, bioethics, and animal well-being.
Provides results of current beef and cattle research, as well as food safety information and links to other key industry websites. Produced by National Cattlemen's Beef Association for consumers, the industry, media professionals, and cattle producers.
- Georgia Beef
Home page of Georgia's Beef Industry featuring links to The Georgia Beef Board, Georgia Cattlemen's Association, Georgia Cattlewomen's Association, and Georgia Junior Cattlemen's Association.
- USDA Livestock & Grain Market News Portal
Feeder and replacement auction reports for the state of Georgia.
UGA Extension offers training within local communities on a wide array of topics. To see if there are training events in your area, please visit our calendar.
- Southeast Georgia Beef Cattle Short Course
Offers producers in the Southeastern region of the state an opportunity to interact with university specialists and industry professionals about issues facing the beef industry.