Aquaculture refers to the breeding and raising of fish, shellfish, and aquatic plants. Trout, prawns (shrimp) and catfish are the primary focus of production is Georgia. This page provides links to resources related to fish production, management, and health.
Commercial and Professional Publications
- Pond Fertilization and Liming in Georgia
- Managing Algal Blooms and the Potential for Algal Toxins in Pond Water
- Sport Fish Management in Ponds
- Using Chemicals in Pond Management
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Cattle drinking from farm ponds can hurt livestock, fish and shoreline
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- UGA Extension to host pond management workshop in Canton
- Fisheries Management & Aquaculture
A collection of useful links regarding pond management, population assessment, and various pond problems.
- Georgia Center for Aquaculture Development (GCAD) Summary
An overview of GCAD and its program goals.
- Impact Statements: Aquaculture
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge & practices related to aquaculture.
- Managing Fish Ponds During a Drought
Provides several measures that can be taken to reduce the effects of drought on fish ponds not designed for dry weather.
- UGA Aquaculture Programs
Extension support and instruction in aquaculture topics at the University of Georgia Tifton Campus. Fish farmers, students, and the general public can find information on fish culture, farm ponds, and aquatic plant management on this site.
- Aquaculture Data
USDA site providing statistics on domestically grown catfish and trout, as well as on U.S. imports and exports of fish and shellfish that may be products of aquaculture, such as salmon, shrimp, and oysters.
- Aquaculture Network Information Center
AquaNIC is the gateway to the world's electronic resources for aquaculture information.
- Aquaculture Regulations in Georgia (GA DNR)
An overview of Georgia aquaculture regulations.
- Southern Regional Aquaculture Center
Provides organizational information, directories, manuals and forms, projects, progress reports, fact sheets, research publications, and other useful links.