Blackberries are an aggregate fruit composed of many small fruits called drupes. They bloom from mid- to late June and begin ripening toward mid-July, and are a good source of iron and vitamin C.
- Home Garden Series: Home Garden Raspberries and Blackberries
- Cane Blight of Blackberry
- Orange Felt (Orange Cane Blotch) of Blackberry
To see a full list of publications, visit the Extension Publications site.
Edible fruits in the landscape
Homeowners looking to add something new to their landscapes this spring should consider something edible. A University of Georgia small fruits expert suggests berries as a delicious and easy addition.
For the latest news about Extension, visit Georgia FACES. News you can use about Georgia family, agricultural, consumer and environmental sciences.
- Add attractive plants to your landscape that provide nutritious fruit, too
- Georgia creates guidelines to protect pollinating insects
- Healthier eating, better tracking results in more produce-related foodborne illness cases
- Tissue-cultured blackberry plants key in avoiding threat of viruses
- UGA releases 2014 Farmgate Value Report: Beef's up, cotton's down and chicken's still on top
- ProPhyt found to be effective treatment of orange cane blotch disease in blackberries
- UGA expert offers advice for new small-scale farmers
- Consumer, farmer opinions sought on FDA's proposed new food safety act
- Grow Your Own Organic Blackberries
How to construct a drainage system for and begin growing blackberries.
- Impact Statements: Blackberries
Descriptions of Extension efforts to improve knowledge and practices related to blackberries.
- Southern Region Small Fruit Consortium: Blackberries
Newsletters related to the production and marketing of blackberries.
- Blackberry and Raspberry Growers Information Portal
Instructional resources for commercial and home growers including production recommendations, pest management, and weather information.
- North American Raspberry & Blackberry Association
Promotes raspberry and blackberry growth and consumption. Provides selection, storage tips and recipes for consumers. Provides research foundation, networking, and conferences for members.